1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Debt collectors threaten arrest

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Aug 23, 2009.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Them: You owe us (a certain amount) to keep your account in good standing.
    Me: I know, I am not able to make that payment now, I don't have a job.
    Them: When can we expect payment?
    Me: You can expect it whenever you want.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What movie was the hat scene?

"I got all my bills in a hat here. Whenever I get some money, I pull bills out of the hat and pay them until that money is gone. Call here again and you're coming out of the hat."

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

True.
    Our company was a "third-party" collection agency.
    First, AMEX, VISA, etc. had tried to get money from these debtors.
    Then, those companies sold the accounts to a second-party agency, promising to split any collections.
    Once we bought the account, we only had to give the big companies like 10-20 percent of the haul.
    The rest belonged to us.
    So we could arrange specific and unique payment arrangements which often accommodated the debtors.
    Whether the ones that paid ever got it taken off their credit reports is beyond me.
    As it stood, VISA, AMEX and the others usually reported it as a write-off.
    But we'd swear to 'em that payments made to us could help "clear" their record.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

This thread brings back unpleasant memories. People should pay their debts. I get that. It wasn't easy but I pulled it off. But many of the bill collectors were abusive to an extreme. They have no right to do that. This one dude was trying to collect on a cell phone bill that wasn't even mine. He hassled me for weeks, even after I submitted proof that it wasn't mine. Finally I had had enough of his name calling and told him to go fuck himself, that he was a pussy hiding behind a telephone and he was welcome to repeat what he said to my face. That took care of it. He never called again.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you ever watch or listen to Dave Ramsey, he has a field day with this stuff. Still holds a grudge against Amex for getting personal with him over debt-collecting calls from 20 years ago.

6. Tarheel316

Yeah, I had forgotten about him. I sure do agree with him about bill collectors being scum.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When somebody calls you, all obscene-phone-call laws are out the window.

Somebody calling you -- electronically entering your home -- is taking their own chances as to what language you use on the phone.

You cannot make a credible threat of physical violence, but you can cuss 'em out until the receiver melts.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I find it funny that people are defending the debt collection companies.

Hell, if a company doesn't want people owing them money, don't lend it to them. If you do there is a risk.

If you charge 27 percent interest because someone was a day late in their monthly payment, you don't have my sympathy.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Bill collectors who follow the law are alright in my book. It's all part of the system.

When I fell so far behind that some debts looked like they'd never get paid, I didn't feel bad. That was the risk they took when they loaned me money. As long as I didn't go into the loan with the intention of defaulting, I wouldn't feel bad. But I also don't get annoyed by the companies doing whatever they need to within the law to get their money back. It's all just business.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

And, again, collection agencies aren't all about credit cards and lending institutions. They're used for other services which people don't pay what they owe.

Defending these agencies? No, certainly not the ones with less-than-stellar tactics.

11. Tarheel316

It's the ones who cross the line - honestly, that means almost all of them - that are the problem. When I was going through bill problems 20 years ago, there times when I could have punched the lights out of some of the bill collectors.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You know what would be good? An agency that works for the consumers.

Don't have time to wait on hold calling AT&T to straighten out your bill? They'll do it.

Your credit card company lowers your available credit then jacks up your interest rate because you went over your credit limit? They call and cuss them out.

The power company says you haven't paid and they will turn the power off on Tuesday, they call and get an extra 14 weeks of power to make up for all the times your power went out over the past 2 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted