1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DeBerry steps down at Air Force

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Dec 15, 2006.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2698568

Kind of curious what attention a job like this gets. Not quite Army, but still has some serious recruiting restraints.
    DeBerry was third behind JoePa and Bowden in coaching years.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Air Force might never be a power again. His reputation is one of the main reasons they were able to recruit much at all.

I think we'll see a lot of very good coaching candidates, but I have a hard time seeing the Air Force being a Top 25 team in the near future. I think they'll be best served going for a passing game type coach that can move the ball with fast, quick plays that will not allow the smaller offensive line to be manhandled as much as they have been recently -- even using an option running attack hasn't been very effective.

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I think all the service acadamies have a chance at being reasonably successful, but it takes the right coach and approach. DeBerry was the right guy at Air Force, Paul Johnson is the right guy at Navy. There's a level of pretty good football player you can entice to go to the academies, pulling in somebody on patriotism or providing a career path to the guys who know they aren't going to play on Sundays. You're never going to have pure knuckle-draggers running around, a curse (cutting off part of the recruiting pool) and a blessing (smarter guys can be coached easier). It's somewhat a lightning-in-a-bottle type deal, but I think you gotta run some form of option. Oh, and schedule the right way.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I realize the size limitations the academy has does dictate the style of play, but I would love for Air Force to live up to its name and throw the ball.

Hard to get a pass-blocking line at an academy and an undersized quarterback would need a Flutie-type arm. But still, it would be fun to watch.

5. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

They won't be good until they get some more Afro-Americans to play in Colorado Springs.

6. standman

standman Member

Maybe Michael Richards can rebound as Air Force's recruiting coordinator

7. Gold

Gold Active Member

Given the limitations on size, talent, etc at Air Force, I don't think a passing game is the way to go. The offense where they try to run the ball and control the clock - I think they called it the flex bone but it kind of was like the wishbone - might be the right fit. The premium is on not making mistakes and having players able to deal with a complicated system. The type of speed a passing attack would require probably would be hard to come by at Air Force.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Wlat to Air Force

9. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Which is why the Bobby Ross Experiment at Army is not working.

10. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

How about a triple-headed monster of Wlat, Coker and Shula ?

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Toss in Amato and you gotta' deal!

12. BullBoi

BullBoi New Member

The knees of AFA opponents everywhere breathe a sigh of relief.

Draft saved Draft deleted