1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death to iTunes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I'll never tell, Dec 10, 2010.

1. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

If you ever listened to their music, you'd know that had to find other ways to make money.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

And the day I see Phil Knight in the bread line, I'll stop stealing shoes.

3. I'll never tell

You don't think there's a huge market for questionable Nikes on eBay? There's a reason they're shipping from China.

But if you buy them, all the money will go directly to the Communist Party of China. That's why I don't do it.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

But you will send money to the descendants of the Communist Party of Russia. Makes sense. They're a better class of commie.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Disney doesn't have much recourse. It's covered under the fair use portion of the law.

The issue with calling it stealing is that in order for it to be theft, you have to not only take it, you have to deprive the rightful owner of it. If I take your car, you don't have a car anymore. If I take the Little Mermaid, Disney still has every copy of the Little Mermaid that it had before. That's why it's called copyright infringement and not theft, although in this case it's just called fair use.

6. I'll never tell

Again, I forgot to use the blue font. Sorry.

7. I'll never tell

Honestly, I thought it was illegal.

Not that I cared or watch Little Mermaid. And not that I thought Disney was going to kick in my door.

And I'm not being a smart ass, just asking ... so what's the difference in recording something off cable vs. recording something off netflix (same movie)? Is the difference in the subscriber agreement? What makes the mediums different?

Or does Netflix just have a way to stop people and HBO doesn't?

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'm a relative luddite when it comes to downloading music. For one, I don't have/won't use an mp3 player. Hate those ear buds and am just too old/stubborn to change.

Now my question: Isn't getting music for free (or dirt cheap from Russia) online the modern equivalent of buying bootleg albums? Just asking ... because people have been "ripping off" the music industry for a long time, and it's survived.

I think they'll find a way to survive in an Internet world, too.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go put my "Electricity Assisted Windows Tour" LP on my turntable and rock out ... :D

9. I'll never tell

I tried that. It was deemed stoner logic.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I am going to go steal that music and then I am going to read your newspaper stories on your websites for free. Or better yet, on someone's blog who has reposted it.

11. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Newspapers pay reporters (poorly, very poorly) to write for them. They do this through (shrinking, ever shrinking) dollars from advertisers and subscribers. Reporters are compensated (again, poorly) for their work by their employer (the employer is frequently not compensated for the service they provide by newspaper website users, which is a problem discussed on a billion threads here, but the comparison doesn't wash to me).

Fundamentally I think if you're going to pirate music (which we've established you have no real problem with) you'd be better off just straight pirating it through a torrent site or something for free rather than giving even a small bit of money to this Russian mob service.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The newspaper comparison is tricky, since the business model for newspapers is to give everything away free.

And you're right -- if you're going to offer a defense for file sharing, go right ahead. I think there are some legitimate arguments to make there. Don't pay the mob for their pirating efforts and pretend it's somehow clever or honorable.

Draft saved Draft deleted