1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death Threats

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Rednecks, racists, angry dads.

The only ones that make me shudder are the ones I get from cops ... it's happened a few times to my face ... sometimes I've found out from other cops that one was talking about hurting me... usually they apologize later ... I've never made a formal report ... I usually just tell one or two I trust so they can either serve as interference or act as a witness upon my untimely death.

2. jnyce

jnyce New Member

Haven't had any death threats, but a few that came close.

Wrote a column that mocked rival school (at one point, I said that they could spot me and fellow writer in a crowd because we were walking upright). Looking back, it was trash. But at the time, I thought it was brilliant.

Anyways, 280-something E-mails later, I find six threats of violence. Also, my apartment's phone # was in my name. Had six or so voicemails, including one telling me I was a nigger-fucker. Not quite sure where that came from, since at the time I had not dated any young ladies of any color other than pale white.

All the threatening e-mails were forwarded to police, who promptly said they could do nothing. They all came through a form system on the paper's website, which allowed you to enter any e-mail address you want (i.e. fake ones). So all the e-mails were from iamgonnafuckup@fuckappgrado05.com

Oh, for a separate column I had several alumni threaten bodily harm. Wasn't that concered about that one, but I did think it would be funny if AppRules79 did "see me at the game Saturday and spit in my snug face," as he suggested.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I was followed out of a school board meeting and told my ass was about to be kicked. I happened to be on my cell phone at the time so I asked my SE, who I was talking to, if he heard that and he confirmed he did so I informed threatening parent that I had witnesses and he was welcome to, but I would write about it.
    Because of all the stories I did around that school board meeting, which involved some ugly business about 17 coaches being fired from one school, I received some phone calls very late at night when I still had a home phone. My wife also answered once and someone said they were going to fuck Angola! up. We quickly got rid of our home phone and switched to cell phones.

4. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I've never received any death threats, but I've felt like issuing a few... I'm looking at you Taylee... Gordon sucks!

5. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

In my cub days, once had the top aide to a college president tell me "We'll bury you" if the paper ran a story I was working on. Reported it to the crusty managing editor, who said, "I'll take care of that MFer." He must have, because shortly thereafter those people did everything but shine my shoes any time I walked on that campus.

Draft saved Draft deleted