1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Death of Susan Ross" anniversary thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bad Guy Zero, May 16, 2008.

1. Which is what, 15 seconds after he sees the named chick and leaves the room?

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This is all the confirmation I need to know that Seinfeld was the best show in television history.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I know that. But just because it's true doesn't make it any less stupid and mean-spirited. Plus, the "real" Festivus was supposedly much different than the show portrayed.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I'm not, as a rule, a man of absolutes, and I provide a wide berth for differences in artistic opinion. But the Seinfeld haters ... I have to say it would take a lot to convince me that they are otherwise intelligent people.

People who say, "Eh, it's just not for me," fine. Great. There's lots of popular stuff that I just don't like. But people who say Seinfeld is stupid and unfunny and the worst thing that's ever been on TV? There is something fundamentally wrong with these people.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I was going to add something....but you guys got it covered.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's not what I'm saying and I'm not a Seinfield hater. The early and middle years were excellent.

The later years, when it became more slapstick with shaky plots, was very hit-and-miss and sometimes flat out bad.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You look like a Lily.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I wouldn't say it was stupid and unfunny, or the worst thing that's ever been on TV. But I did stop watching it about midway through the run. I got tired of the cold-bloodedness of the characters (the issue behind this thread is a great example).
    In what I think are the best sitcoms, the characters care about each other, no matter how screwed up they are. Every interaction between the Seinfeld characters is essentially selfish. You can't convince me any of these people really cares about any of the others.
    After a while, I started finding this so creepy, it made the funny stuff less funny.
    I don't expect a lot of people to agree with me here, but I know some of you understand what I'm talking about.

Draft saved Draft deleted