1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death of a racehorse -- really?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Ace, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you think W.C. Heinz's Death of a Racehorse is one of the best works of sports journalism, this may be its bizarro twin.

"Columnist" for Ukiah, Calif., newspaper talks about a miserable day at Portland Meadows capped with the death of a horse in the last race that tragically costs him his bankroll.

Trouble is, no such horse apparently has ever run at Portland Meadows or anywhere else in North America.

http://www.ukiahdailyjournal.com/ci_11818551

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Pretty strange editor's note at the bottom of the story:

3. What in the FUCK is going on here?

4. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

All I can say is ... WOW!! That's five minutes of my life I will never get back thanks to the wacky Mr. Kramer. Oh, and real nice sensitive touch there at the end.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Awful "column", even worse behavior by the editor, if indeed that's who added it.
    Wouldn't be surprised we find out the "columnist" put that part in himself.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Ace where did you get the info on the non-existence of Ginger Mist?

7. Dread_Smith

Dread_Smith New Member

There was a Whisky Mist that ran in the last race at Portland on Feb. 17. Listed next-to-last in the summary results, but can't tell if it broke down or not. That's 10 minutes I'll never get back.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I've never spent any amount of time in Portland, Ore. Passed through a couple of times on family vacations.

But, two guys from Ukiah find the city "boring"?

From Ukiah!? Are you kidding me?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I checked the daily racing form entries, results for the meet. The "anywhere in north america" bit was from one of the comments on the story, I will confess.

As Dread noted, there was a Whiskey Mint that finished next-to-last on Feb. 17th.

10. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Methinks someone's a big fan of T.J. Simers.

11. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Geez.

12. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Just goes to show that when it comes to bad journalism, you can't beat a dead horse.

Draft saved Draft deleted