1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dearest moderators,

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Why is it ridiculous? It's a sports journalism message board, not a geopolitics board.

I mean, I get *wanting* to talk about it, but politics isn't part of the site's mission.

Maybe if we brought back NewsJournalists.com?

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I feel very comfortable in the fact that I don't know what Crimea is. And ...

Just yes.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's SportsJournalists, not SportsJournalism. Acceptable topics should be what sports journalists (and other members of our community) want to talk about.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Because the idea of a website is to attract an audience so that it can pay the bills if not make a profit. It isn't doing that on sports and journalism alone. Many if not most of the best threads here over the years have had little to do with sports or journalism.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

How was that rousing season of sports journalism Sheep, Mystery Meat II? Rick Reilly for every answer, right?

I am excited for the return of The Odd Couple. The TV thread hasn't been the same since Sports Night got canned.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I used to think I was the least-informed person on this board re: current news events.

No longer.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But he knows Joe Paterno's shoe size.

Fly and Songbird like this.
  8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't doubt for a second that you're comfortable in your ignorance.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes, by all means, you two sip a latte and congratulate yourselves. And IJAG ... I had that title taken from you long ago. :)

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Ahem ...

Look, I've got no personal beef with politics threads. Hell, I post on 4chan's various boards; ain't nothing you guys can do can phase me. But there's a track record of shit going south in a hurry whenever politics rears its head, be it in an election-pegged thread or a containment board.

Again, just because people WANT to do something doesn't mean they have the RIGHT to. There's plenty of places to talk politics on the Internet.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If you post on 4Chan, you know that shit never really devolves too much here, not by the standards of the Internet at large.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's true. We get some extended back-and-forths, and Baron will obsess about George Bush, while Starman melts down, but it rarely gets personal, or vulgar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.