1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Webby

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Feb 14, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Webby, to repeat, if there's a need for help from the members, we'll get your back.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've had problems with it too. I normally have to hit reload to get it to actually load.

Some of them (that asian wedgie one) have caused some looks at work.

3. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Well, that's just brilliant.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This time it took about 98 seconds for the multi-colored circle to stop spinning, which means the page has loaded. It's 5:30 in the p.m., and you're reading Perspectives. Fantastic. [/Tim Meadows] ...

It's snowing here hardcore, the first real storm of the winter. Snowflakes galore. We're up to a foot so far. Been in New England better part of 12 years, and this is one of the top 3 storms for me. We get our paychecks today so I ventured out to work. Roads were hideous, but the '93 Maxima I bought a few months ago handled the slop and slush and mush quite well. Up in these sticks of New England, there are few flat roads; everything curves upward or downward. Salt trucks haven't been out much, and the plowers haven't cleared the roads all that well. "Mr. Plow, that's my name, my name again is Mr. Plow." [/Homer Simpson] ... So the drive to work, between 4 and 5 miles, including Sem Hill, which can be, and has been, a hideous beast during these winter storms, wasn't so harsh on the '93 Maxima, which is much heavier than the '98 Contour I drove for 5 years. I trust my driving in poor conditions, right, but it's the other yokels I don't trust behind the wheel.

Yesterday during a 14-hour, 14-page deadline I felt like crap, battled a wicked cold I got covering indoor track Saturday in a cramped gym packed with a thousand people. The infield resembled the world's largest slumber party. So Sunday, Monday and yesterday were brutal with the amount of phlehm I coughed up; with the thousand times I blew my nose that ran more than Prefontaine; for 48 hours I was the New England Honker; went through several rolls of toilet paper and boxes of tissues.

Got an e-mail Monday telling me I took 2nd place in the NEPA contest, and that made me feel good, yet all I could think about was a quote from someone famous I can't remember: "2nd place just means you were the 1st loser."

So there you have it. Bigtime snow day today. Come make snow angels with me.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Um, was that meant for the random thoughts thread that is locked?

Or do you just feel like being weird and posting inane things until Webby gives in and takes down the video ad?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Xan, you should have been there for the blizzard of '93, when we got three feet of snow in early March. A town just over the Connecticut/Massachusetts border declared a state of emergency and shut down. Had never seen that before.

First and so far only time I've ever seen parked cars completely engulfed by snow. Walked around the house singing "It's The End Of The World As We Know It." Shoveling was a whorish chore. Always got a kick out of how my parents got snow blowers...after I went away to college. Thanks guys!

Cue Hondo: Back in my day we shoveled uphill both ways in the snow. You're lazy.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Noisemaker, Noisemaker,
    You have no complaint
    You are what your are and you ain't what you ain't
    So listen up Buster, and listen up good
    Stop wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I have no movie screen on the upper right. I suspect the AdBlock Plus extension for Firefox has it blocked.

Webby: Put the "donate" button back up, please.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I miss the random thoughts thread, and the inaneity of the post is a sign that I'm starting to feel a little better. And BYH, it hasn't stopped snowing for at least 18 hours hours here.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agreed.. put the button up.. hell, ditching fudgepack was worth a few shekles from me...

And since I have zone alarm and figured out the way to ditch the video ad and other things, I'll gladly pay a few bucks a quarter for this site..

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I just installed AdBlock Plus. Awesome. Thanks!

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Agreed. And I would take out the part about cutting a check recently.

Draft saved Draft deleted