1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear NFL: Quit having timeouts after kicks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnoopyBoy, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'm sure if anyone is willing to write a 9 figure check made out to the NFL, they'll gladly eliminate the commercial break after kickoffs. :D

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

You can't sell the time that they're playing.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Dear Roger Goodell,
    I'd like to pay you in the neighborhood of nine figures to eliminate commercials after kickoff. But because of certain tax loopholes, I'm going to write you a check for 10 figures. If you promise to send back the excess money to me via Western Union, I'll send out the check ASAP. I look forward to fewer commercials.

Sincerely,
    Bigpern23

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I will say that not all viewers are incontinent. Although alcohol probably does play a role in that. However, those breaks are often too short if you have to, ahem, go long.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

It's a wonder pro teams (and college, too, I guess) can get any momentum going what with all the TV timeouts.
    If you've ever been down on the sideline during NFL games it's a crazy sight: gargantuan men in colorful costumes intermittently standing around for long intervals while the league "pays its bills"
    Stupidest thing I've seen, except for, maybe, the "two-minute warning"
    With pro sports, it's all about the Benjamins, that's for sure.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

hmmm......has some possibilities, but Goodell's too smart for this.

Let's try the NHL and MLB instead.

7. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

We are quite proud of our student-athletes and their amateur status. We are simply appalled at the NFL's cheif desire for these "Benjamins" as you call them.

Sincerely,

The NCAA

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The timeout immediately after the kickoff has irritated me since the first time I saw this. I don't care if you want 10 minutes after a touchdown to run all the ads you have to. There's no logical reason to return to the game for 6 seconds of action before cutting away again. You are right; it's worse to be in the stadium when all this happens. When I'm at home with a remote, at least I have the choice of going somewhere else.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

If Versus can dupe Bettman, I'm sure it will work.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Aside from more revenue for the league and the networks, do these breaks add anything to the game? Do they make it more dramatic any way?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Frankly, I like having the commercials after kick-offs. 1, it tends not to interrupt momentum. 2, you have about 8 minutes to get some crap done around the house without missing any action.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Unlike plodding college football, NFL can move a game. Just not the Super Bowl, for reasons that are plain.

The average time was a shade over 3:04 this past season. Not great, but not bad, either.

I don't think the players mind it that much. The lull makes for decent girl-watching.

Draft saved Draft deleted