1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear NFL, please fix your commercial

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I mentioned this in the running Week 1 thread, but it's bugged me enough to start a tread...

As a multi-billion dollar business, the NFL should hire somebody to proof the graphics used in TV promos for typos.

I enjoyed the spot for NFLshop.com with Archie, Peyton and Eli huddling up before doing various household chores. Until the end when the graphic popped up...

"The Manning's are ready for the season."

Surely, they've got some technical wizard who can take that apostrophe out so it'll be correct.

I see this as a bad omen for Roger Goodell's tenure.

2. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I think the apostrophe is a little tiny leash, just for B. Gumbel, Blowhard Hills, NY.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I saw an MTV commercial for that "Think MTV" thing they're trying to do in which they misspelled a word, I think 'especially' as 'especialy.' Can't remember if that was the word, but it was definitely a one 'l' vs. two situation.

It bothered me all that day, enough to see if I could find a 'contact us' link on mtv.com.

4. I'm glad I'm not the only one this bothered, Inky.

Maybe they let Peyton do the graphics.

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain why the Mannings were cooking breakfast in Tony Soprano's house?

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Because Tony paid Peyton and Eli to cover (or not cover) the point spreads?

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Does Eli live in Hells Kitchen, NY?

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Grammatical and spelling errors on TV give me violent urges.

9. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Another one that bugs me is TSN's SportsCentre. In their logo on some show graphics, not all, there's this tiny apostrophe in Sport's that they're almost trying to hide as if to say they're not really sure if it should be there or not.

10. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Well, that didn't take long.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not to mention they spell it Centre, instead of Center. :p

Draft saved Draft deleted