1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear New London

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, not sure employees actually got an e-mail though I suspect they did.

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=5b4d4d22-4a58-48a4-a26b-1ce7bc13668c

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

And they just cut 40 people (though only a couple newsroom folk) in June.

Lots of talented people. So much for not working for The Corporate Man anymore...

EDIT: They've also pared down the fringes of their circulation area. There are parts of New London County (granted, the fringes of the county) where you can't even buy The Day at the store anymore, as of a couple weeks ago.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

As one of the comments at the end of the story points out, this quote:

is ridiculous. Maybe it's not cataclysmic to you, Mr. Publisher/Editor, but to the 11 people who just lost their jobs, I'm sure it is.

Douchebag.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I don't know, man...what is he supposed to say. "This is just the start and we're all doomed."?

I've said it before. There's a lot of blame to be laid on newspaper management for all the mistakes made in the past, but right now, everybody's just trying to save their companies the best they can -- well, a lot of them are doing the best they can to save them anyway -- and there's a lot of pain. I don't know that dishonesty one way or another is going to help.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I agree to a point with what you are saying, but I just think since we are in the business of words he could have come up with a better one. That's all.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I thought this was one paper, considering the financial setup, that could avoid all of this.

Had friends who worked there, but don't anymore. They are much happier in their current lives.

Draft saved Draft deleted