1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear National Anthem singers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Feb 7, 2011.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

There is a simple solution to this... eliminate the anthem before sporting events. It is not necessary.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  2. SteveRep44

SteveRep44 Member

Hey, one of the GREATEST versions of the national anthem was very much an interprative version done well -- Marvin Gaye's.

But I'm a bit old fashioned in this. Gimme a strong vocal -- I'm preferential to tenors (Enrico Pallazzo, not so much! :D ) -- or a good band version.

And don't get me started on "O!" at athletic events .....

3. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

I don't find the National Anthem sacred, and am fine with interpretation. There was even a yacht-rock (heh) act that I saw completely nail it before a Braves game this year. That said, there's one rule that separates a good rendition from a horrible one:

1) Don't try to seduce America.

If your stylistic choices involve sounding like you want to make sweet, passionate love to America, then you have failed in your interpretation. Bottom line. And you will most likely fail within two seconds of starting. I'm talking, like, on the "O," even.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

She screwed up majorly, and I don't like a lot of the attempts at the national anthem.

However, if this were 40 years ago you'd be complaining about Hendrix' version of the anthem.
    A performer can play the song how he/she wants to. There's no rule that says it must be played as written.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know why you all are complaining so much.

I thought Cyndi Lauper did a pretty awesome job singing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl this year.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wait ... Haguilera's got TALENT? Coulda fooled me! ::)

I'm KIDDING!

She usually has a great set of pipes, but they failed her along with her ability to remember the words. And they created a perfect failstorm on Sunday.

7. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I myself have performed in front of 10s of people, and I've got songs I've done 1,000 times, whether it be in practice or on stage.

Interpretation aside, I've screwed up words I thought I knew like the back of my hand. Add the fact that half the world was watching, and I'll give her a pass on flubbing the words. There's plenty of YouTube proof that she's done it correctly before.

Who among us hasn't had their ass saved by a copy editor? Sadly, live doesn't have one.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The biggest point here, though, is at least she had the balls to try it live. Anyone can hit that shit when it's pre-recorded. Doing it live? Well, that's another thing altogether.

I, for one, hope she gets a chance to redeem herself in Indianapolis next year.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

10. Journalist21

Journalist21 Member

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

A friend just posted this on Facebook and I wanted to share it with you guys. Apparently the young women singing range from age 6 to 8. Amazing anthem!

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=74136331072

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

ByDesign77 likes this

Draft saved Draft deleted