1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Gannett: WTF Did You Expect?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, Feb 10, 2015.

1. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

From the time she got to Cincinnati in 2011, Carolyn Washburn was trying to get rid of the copy desk.
    Even when they had a desk, this email from her was a classic: It's worse than you think - Baltimore Sun

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Grammar for grownups? Awesome.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Like I said, she's a trainwreck. She gives Gannett editors and trainwrecks a bad name.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

As usual, it's hard to argue with John McIntyre:

First lesson, nobody cares - Baltimore Sun

The reader doesn’t care how hard you worked, what pressures you are under, or how good your intentions are. The reader sees the product, online or in print; if the product looks sloppy and substandard, the reader will form, and likely express, a low opinion of it. And the reader is under no obligation whatsoever to be kind.

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Three relatively large newspapers are published within 40 miles of where I live. I read each print edition at least a few times a week.

Two of the three papers still have copy desks (one is owned by a chain that uses a centralized editing hub, but the hub is based in this area and most of the copy editors there have worked in this market).

The other went the Cincinnati Enquirer route about five years ago and systematically dismantled its desk. Some copy editors were laid off, others reassigned.

It is painfully obvious which paper no longer has a copy desk. That's especially true when comparing the sports sections.

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

7. Baron Scicluna

Cue the next silly Washburn memo in 3 ... 2 ...

8. Baron Scicluna

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Wow. A straight shit-canning firing. That's gotta hurt.

But I'm surprised she lasted as long as she did with the new publisher coming in to fix that place.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Typical newspapers. A higher up complains about typos when newsrooms have been completely gutted and all the experienced writers (uh ones who make $$$ have been put out to pasture). And all the young inexpensive writers can't write a lick and have unclean copy full of typos and mistakes. And there are 1/3 the number of copy editors as before. Surprise, surprise surprise Gomer. MISTAKES!

Draft saved Draft deleted