1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear FOX: Not everyone has a flat-screen TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WolvEagle, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I have shitty eyes. I can tell the difference, but it doesn't matter to me. When I bought my flat screen, I told the guy, I want the flat screen more because it'll take up less space and be more portable when I move. I bought the cheapest 40-inch TV they had at Best Buy.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Ragu concurs.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Would you believe that I still have a VHS recorder hooked to my TV? My kids have wanted to watch some of the old Disney movies they haven't seen in years.

4. Yep, it's the cable company. If the TV has a QAM tuner, try doing a scan so you can get the HD stations.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You had to go and ensure the crashing of the Internet, didn't you?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I heard that 40-something percent of all Americans do not have flat screen TVs, but they need to try harder so they can watch TV in HD.

Oh, we are talking about Fox Sports?

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

IJAG's observation is interesting. When we finally bought a flat-screen about a year ago at this time, my mother-in-law was at the house. She made this impassioned plea that we not spring for HD service. She kept insisting that "we couldn't tell the difference" when she and her husband had it. I thought she was just cheap (true) and old (70-something). Did not factor in female.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I wish I could remember the thread, but it was years ago. Guys were posting that their wives didn't see it, and I was concurring. It's all circumstantial, at least here, but who knows?

9. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Adding to the anecdotal evidence, I don't see the difference.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I remember posting on that thread, and I do remember my wife saying "I am not fucking stupid, of course I can see a difference" when I tried to demonstrate at home.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My son bought a HiDef. He put it next to his regular TV. His mom took a look and said, "Holy shit. Buy one NOW. The difference is amazing."

She was female at the time and, I presume, remains that way.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dear Moddy,

Saying "women see it less" doesn't mean "No woman ever has seen a difference."

Then again, you knew that.

Draft saved Draft deleted