1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear FOX: Not everyone has a flat-screen TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WolvEagle, Oct 27, 2012.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

boom, i had this problem, too, until i went over the instructions manual and saw my 'settings' were wrong. check on the tv's 'menu. look for 'screen size,' of something like that. my tv has 'normal,' 'stretch.' and 'zoom.' your tv might be set on 'stretch' or 'zoo,' in which case some graphics might not appear at all or are cut off. even epn/espn2 in is ct off on the scroll at thr bottom of the screen.

or maybe this is unique to my brand, but i doubt it. let me know if this helps at all.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've had the same problem with the graphics for some games -- not all -- and adjusting the screen sizes on two different flat screen TVs did nothing to fix it.
    The weird part is, this doesn't happen on every game. It seems totally random.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

We had the same problem on the copy desk in the sports department. Of course, being copy editors, nobody knew how to fix something mechanical or electronic.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the flatness of your TV matters in this case. The issue is widescreen vs. normal, square screen.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Count me in the camp that still has an old school tube TV. Better things in this world to spend my money on. Got a 32" tube TV that I traded a point and shoot digital camera to my parents for when they got a flat screen. Works fine. But it can also be adjust to better accept the wide screen formats.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Yep. Comcast figures everyone has 16:9 ratio screens, so they cater to that crowd.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Bought a 27-inch flatscreen tube model about six years ago, just before big flatscreens became common. In high-def letterbox format, though, the upper two and lower two inches are worthless. And on some commercials where they crash in from the sides, it's like the 12-inch set I had in my dorm in college. Yes, Comcrap still shows some channels in standard def, but why watch standard def?

8. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

My tube TV's also 27 inches - an RCA "TruFlat."

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This was what I was thinking. There should be some settings you can fiddle with to adjust it to letterbox/zoom/whatever. Unless you still have the old console TV with the dial on the front and the cable box where you have to get up to change the channel. If it continues to annoy you, Wolvie, then just pop in a Betamax of your favorite comedy. It'll cheer you up. :) Seriously, I got my first flat screen only two years ago, and I don't know how I watched that old tube TV for so long. It's a world of difference.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

i bought a 37 inch Vizio HD TV at Target for about 350, used their credit card for another 5% off. Pay $100 a month. I went from watch 32 inch tube low def TV in my bedroom to watching a nice TV. Get yourself into the 21st century

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I never used my HD flat screen when I got it. I don't see a difference in the pictures.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Than you're doing it wrong. There is a vast difference. Although the smaller the TV, the less you'll notice it I think.

Draft saved Draft deleted