1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear FOX: Not everyone has a flat-screen TV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WolvEagle, Oct 27, 2012.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Call me old school (or old fart), but I don't have a flat-screen TV. The last time I bought a TV a few years back, I got a traditional model that doesn't need a converter box (yeah, that was a big deal at the time). I have neither the money nor the space to get one, either. My son and I are not hauling the entertainment center out of the living room, thank you very much.

Well, FOX has decided that everyone has a flat-screen and has adjusted its graphics accordingly for sporting events. In other words, I have no f-ing clue was the score is unless Joe Buck tells me. If I step out of the room for a moment, tough crap.

The score graphic is pushed off the screen to the left. It doesn't exist in my world.

Considering that I live in the Detroit area and A. Fox is carrying the World Series and B. Fox carries the NFC, I'm more than a bit annoyed.

Is this a problem for any other folks in SportsJournalists.com nation?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel better Fox score placement is no better on flat screen. To see it you have to adjust screen. It's been a while but I believe you can adjust on old school tv also.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dear Bank: How can I check my account balance on my rotary phone?

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wait, they show the score on the screen at all times during the football games? Not just when they go to commercial break between quarters? When did this start?

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Walking into my parent's home is like walking into 1979.

No computers. No cell phones. No DVR.

But before my dad died 2 years ago, even *HE* got a flat screen TV - its either low def, or they don't pay for high def.

Fox shouldn't have to cater to the lowest common denominator, and the last guy. If you refuse to leave 1993, it isn't their fault.

6. Even FOX News is widescreen, so they're not waiting for all senior citizens to die off before upgrading techoology.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I had a flatscreen, 19 inches, in my bedroom for 7 months until my house got broken into. They oddly didn't take my 27-inch box tv I've had since college.

Needless to say, I'm not buying a new flatscreen.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

They figure it's mostly liberals who still own box tv's . Not their market.

9. If the OP is using cable, then the cable company is messing things up. Usually, the cable company will letterbox something shot in widescreen.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

On our system, the HD feeds and the 'normal' feeds are on separate channels. So Fox, for example, is on Channel 5. The Fox HD transmission of the same program is on Channel 505.

OP may be clicking to the wrong feed?

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Send hem a telegram to complain.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

See if the Pony Express will deliver it.

Draft saved Draft deleted