1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear, Dougie, RE: British Open

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Xan, you're still not getting my point. Tiger chasing you, as opposed to a lesser known guy, causes you to adjust your game. If you're up three and Tiger's chasing, you're more apt to keep the foot on the gas and go for birdie on holes where you might just play safe and play for par if someone else was chasing, because you know that Tiger at any point is capable of putting together a string of birdies. Hey, maybe the other guy can too, but you don't know. If Tiger's chasing, you don't want to look back on a round if he catches you and say, "man, I left a few strokes out there. I should have attacked the flag on that hole instead of playing it safe."

Sometimes attacking can lead to bad shots. Sometimes you try to hit a shot that you're not capable of hitting. Maybe you're caught between clubs from 110 out and instead of smartly hitting a safe approach, you hit a half a gap wedge trying to make up the distance. I don't know. It's not that players are scared of Tiger, physically. What I'm saying is that Tiger changes the way you mentally approach your own game, and that can open the door to a lot of things.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I got your point, and I do appreciate the follow-up. I think I would play the same either way, whether Tiger is chasing me or Billy Bob Artichoke is chasing me. I'd keep my foot on the gas. If that means I make a mistake, so be it, but once you start altering your mindset from "kill, kill, kill" to "don't lose, just hold on, only 3 more holes to go," etc, then you''ll probably lose focus. Just go for it. That's my mindset.

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Xan,

Keeping your foot on the pedal at all times is also a good way to go careening over a cliff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sincerely,

Jean and Phil

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Did Whitlock call Graham a Cracker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

True that. But I'd hit good shots. ;D

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A sidebar on McDowell after Day 1 would be appropriate, I agree.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Personally, I make Tiger the sidebar and lead with McDowell.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but you're going to write three more stories about Tiger, beginning today.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I can't understand why the AP is leading with Tiger Woods this morning ... when, um, Tiger Woods is in the lead.

9. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Anybody who thinks "the story" at a golf tournament is always the day-end leader may need to take a step back.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Haven't even read the whole thread, but if you think more readers want to know more about Graeme McDowell than Tiger Woods -- with a difference of one stroke, not 10 -- then we're not living in the same universe.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Well, it's a whopping three pages, so I could see where you wouldn't have the time.

Never said always. Just thought it was in this instance.

12. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Kind of hard to water the place when there's not a sprinkler to be found anywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted