1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Comcast...stuff it

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Nov 22, 2006.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

They will launch ESPN Deportes on their systems, but not ESPNU.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/COMCAST_DISNEY?SITE=PAPIT&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=home.htm

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Comcast sucks. It represents all that is wrong and greedy with cable companies. I hope the day cable systems are regulated, the Feds are there with some paperwork and a message: "We need to talk, you need to listen. Now."

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

That's Com-crap-tastic!

4. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

It's Comcastic! ::)

EDIT: Damn, Freelance beat me to it by seconds.

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

Get DirecTV.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

As a frequent ESPN defender here, you need to know that ESPN has been fairly rigid about how it wants ESPNU presented on cable. It's trying to play hardball with cable companies about getting what is a niche channel on basic cable.
    I don't get Comcast, but I imagine they're already giving you ESPN, the Deuce, News and Classic on basic or expanded basic tiers.

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

"As part of the multiyear deal, Comcast, the country's largest cable TV operator, also agreed to buy Disney's 39.5 percent stake in the E! Entertainment Television channel for $1.23 billion. Comcast currently holds a 60 percent interest in the channel."
    Damn.... Disney owned part of E! ??? I knew they were the devil, trying to ruin our minds with dreck, but damn.... that's hitting below the belt.
    And ESPN pushing ESPN Deportes and not ESPNU stinks.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Comcast in my area has ESPN and the Deuce on basic, ESPNews on lower-tier digital and ESPNC Classic on the mid-range tier, I believe.

I'd rather have ESPN U than CSTV (a high-range tier channel that I don't get and doesn't offer appreciably more than the three Fox regional sports channels), but I can also see the demand for a Spanish sports channel in this day and age (GOL TV is a high-end channel with Comcast).

9. markvid

markvid Guest

News and Classic are both on the digital tier on my Comcast system.

And Patchs, until DirecTV fixes their HDTV quality, I'm not getting it.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Just get the dish, people, it will solve (most) of your woes.

11. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Honestly, I don't think there's a bit of difference between the various dish and cable companies. I've, at one time or another, used just about all of them. And I've found the customer service is about the same with all of them: pretty lousy.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I guess I've had good luck with Dish Network. Never had a problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted