1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Chuck Klosterman...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Seinfeld of authors?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

That's it; that's the one I read.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I loved every part of Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs. Chapter 11 is a big reason why. But I love reading ramblings of others, and his thought process read a lot like what goes on inside my head -- a bunch of cluttered thoughts, speeding from one topic to another, contemplating all the ramifications a different step would make, etc. That's why I've got to fall asleep to Boy Meets World or Seinfeld or Scrubs every night: So my mind will shut up.

That's how I view Chuck Klosterman.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

There's a note in the story that he won't be writing the Esquire column anymore. I thought those were getting weaker the last year or so. If that means he'll have more time for profiles or books I'm all for it. I'd like to read more sports stories from him as well; I love his occasional stories on espn.com.

Back in his previous life as a regular newspaper guy, the story when he left Fargo for Akron was that he'd been fired because of a negative review of a Yanni concert, which had led to countless letters to the editor ripping on him. The features editor even had to write a column saying that wasn't the case, and Klosterman himself called into a talk radio to refute it. Only in Fargo.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

It was mentioned in an earlier post that I'm not a fan. I should be noted that I haven't been a fan of his Esquire column. On that basis I haven't bought his books and there's no immediate danger of that happening. If he's going to do something else, magazine work or something along those lines, good for him. I'll have a look. I won't dismiss it reflexively. I don't buy the idea that the like-him/don't-like divide is purely a generational deal, that you're too old or don't get his cultural references.

Just not what I like.

YD&OHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted