1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Chuck Klosterman...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Sep 23, 2008.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Good stuff, DD. I also have the impression that he doesn't necessarily think he's right about any of this, he just likes constructing viewpoints.

In his essay collection "IV," which is reprints of old magazine and newspaper pieces, he does fresh intros for each one. They are filled with stuff like, "In retrospect, that was an idiotic thing to think," and "I mostly said X because I thought it seemed cool."

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't know, DD, I'm on the fence. First of all, I find his books incredibly easy to digest. I read most of Sex, Drugs & Cocoa Puffs in one sitting on an overnight stay at my brother's place. Breezed right through it.

That's good and bad. It was like drinking a Dr Pepper. Awesome in many ways, especially the first few tastes, but fleeting in its greatness. And unlike Dr Pepper, I wasn't clamoring for another taste. I mean, if one of his books is sitting there, sure, I'd read it, I'd find much of it fascinating, but I don't think I'd buy it.

I do feel like I'm on his wavelength about many things. Most of his impressions of his (my) youth are pretty dead-on for the most part. I get him, though I feel no need to ever completely agree with him or any other writer for that matter.

At the same time, people in Klosterman's generation, like me, have been beaten over the head practically since birth that our world view is frivolous (in comparison to our glorified baby boomer parents' experiences) and he embodies that.

So I'm conflicted by whether his deconstructions of our culture are great or if he's someone who was in the right place at the right time who's a master of timing more than insight.

In the context of the 1970s, is Klosterman Berlin-period David Bowie, disco, or, Paul McCartney & Wings?

If he's Berlin-period David Bowie, he was appreciated by hipsters in his time, only to see his respect gradually grow over the years as others caught up to his viewpoints.

If he's disco, he was popular in his time, slagged for a decade or more for being a fad of his time, only to receive a more favorable, and more permanent, critical reassessment later.

If he's Paul McCartney & Wings, he's popular in his time, only to see his influence decline as people begin to view his writings through the prism of their own times and they come to the conclusion he had some high points, but most of what he produced was saccharine and forgettable in the long run, even embarrassing at times.

I don't know what to think.

Eh fuck it, let's play Hungry, Hungry Hippos!

3. pallister

pallister Guest

What's the one where he drives all over and whines about his relationships? I read that one; it was pretty good.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think you lived that one.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Replaces "whines" with "bitches" and "relationships" with "life" and you're correct. I should have written about it -- in complete sentences.

6. imjustagirl

I've heard you bitch about life. And relationships. And a little whining. But lots of driving.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Driving is when I do most of my writing.

8. imjustagirl

Sounds dangerous.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Hey, I just started reading that recently too! I went on a Klosterman buying binge at Barnes and Noble the week before they had the buy 2, get 1 free sale on his books. FAIL.

10. imjustagirl

Thank you, Meat, for redeeming me.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

IJAG ... I too love Klosterman. We may have had this discussion. I'll answer the 23, because the book happens to be right in front of me on my rudimentary bookshelf.

1. Yes.
    2. No (apparently I have more empathy for animals than humans)
    3. Turtle, definitely. Hitler was a fag.
    4. Yes. He can sign with Oakland if he maims that fucking asshole cocksucker who tried to pick the fight with the columnist.
    5. Yeah. so says the rooster.
    6. Hell naw. I wake up sometimes wondering what the fuck my dreams mean. No need to put my family thru that shit.
    7. If the president is Bush, I bury it on A9.
    8. No.
    9. Nah. But Hitler is still a fag.
    10. Sigh. Barracuda.
    11. I leave. Moms is all I've got left family wise.
    12. $42.
    13. Surely, someone queefed.
    14. Insulting.
    15. Playing chess.
    16. I watch, and I wonder why more teams arent' named "Roughriders."
    17. The guy with no past.
    18. Europe. The moon seems rather boring.
    19. I was wasted, and I thought you were a cat.
    20. Fictional, if they made me a bit thinner.
    21. Earlier, I guess. By one year.
    22. The rumor about sex with the married co-worker.
    23. Fine, as long as the hot blonde girl from "8 Rules" was involved.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

What are the questions?

Draft saved Draft deleted