1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear AP (Re: State basketball tournaments)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I called our state AP bureau yesterday to be sure they were going to move agate on the state basketball tournaments. Nothing major, just final scores. I was told by the main sports guy that yes, the AP was going to send out scores.

Did the state AP move those scores? Hell. No.

Luckily, our guys were able to piece together a scoreboard off a message board devoted to high school sports.

Update: Called the bureau today to ask, basically, WTF?

"We'll send out the scores when they're called in to us."

You mean, y'all can't call the tournament sites and piece it together that way?

"No, they need to call us. Or our member papers need to call us with scores."

OK, I'll remember that in the fall when y'all are calling us on deadline wanting football scores.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Henry's pissed he didn't start this thread first.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Does your state HS association not have a Web site where it posts results?
    I don't know if I'd trust a message board.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Texas has a web site, but it is rarely updated, so you have to rely on other papers and message boards.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

state association should be helping out, but, as I understand it, they aren't updating late scores until the next morning.
    only scores being added are during regular office houses.
    but if I'm wrong, Inky can correct me on that.

6. Inky_Wretch

No.

They provide live stat updates from state final games. But they don't update the brackets until the next morning during the early rounds.

7. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I guess it depends on the level of the tournament.
    The state I live in has Webcasts for the quarterfinals on for basketball.
    I grew up in Illinois and for basketball they had game updates and final scores almost immediately on the state's Web site from the first-round on.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Well played.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

This might be a stupid question: But the AP doesn't actually cover your state high school basketball tourney?

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

In the bigger parts of Illinois, yes. But sometimes the podunks would take forever to get their scores in to the IHSA.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i had many, many brews with our state assoc's PR guy a few years back. we get about 10 or 12 beers into the night and he asks: "what could we do better for you guys?"

me: "you know how you guys post results from state final sites? that's great and all but we have to reformat every time we use your results ... horrible shit on deadline."

state guy: "thanks for letting me know. i'll see what i can do."

that was during the spring. once the fall state tourney's rolled around, our state had an option of clicking on regular results or AP style results. i fucking love that guy.

12. Inky_Wretch

No.

Draft saved Draft deleted