1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dean Youngblood

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TwoGloves, Jun 17, 2011.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

How did this guy ever not become a huge star in the NHL? He dates the coach's hot daughter, scores the game-winning goal in the championship game and beats up Racki? This guy would have been a perfect linemate for Gretzky and Messier. Thank God Vs. is showing his bio again right now. What an inspiration!

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

What that bio doesn't tell you is that he knocked up Jessie Chadwick during the off-season, so Mad Dog Murray paid him a little visit on the farm. Pretty soon Kelly wasn't the only disabled Youngblood son, and so much for the NHL career.

At least Derek Sutton made a name for himself, although it didn't happen until after he'd changed it to Dalton. But that's another story for another time.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Nice.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That's not what I heard. Way it's been told to me, Sutton never was the same after he hurt his head. He changed, big time. His hockey skills never came back, and he started preaching to everyone he met about how they should seize the day and live every day like it's their last.
    He moved to California and took up surfing, then things got messy. He hooked up with some like-minded individuals. Real macho assholes with a death wish. They robbed more than 30 banks successfully before one went bad. Sutton was wanted for multiple counts of murder and eventually went underground. An FBI agent named Utah (who had a remarkably similar backstory) tracked him down to Australia, but Sutton was apparently killed when he tried to surf a 500-foot wave.
    I'd call it a tragic story. But it's not tragic to die doing what you love.

5. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

word on the street is he survived the wave and is a Chip n' Dales dancer after winning a rugged dance off with a man by the name of Barney.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd heard some rumors like that, too. The Chip n' Dales thing led to a more respectable gig at a bank, and he hooked up with a chick named Molly. Didn't work out, though. He got shot in a holdup and died. Molly went insane and kept saying she could see his ghost, but it turns out some lesbian psychic who wanted to get in her pants was just telling her that.
    Just as well. That rumor sounds too ridiculous to be true.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Well, the rumor I heard was that Sutton was so messed up he started dressing in women's clothing and taking cross-country trips. Even weirder, after an episode with a psychotic baseball fan, former SF Giants player Bobby Rayburn and his agent joined him to form quite a transvestite trio.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah, Youngblood -- Hell of a player, could really put the puck in the net.

(I only saw it once! That's the only line I really remember.)

9. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

So you're saying his skills went downhill after his last junior season as a 30-year-old? Talk about being overage ...

10. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Just hit it, pillowhands. It won't hit you back.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I think Youngblood ended up with the Tallahassee Warthogs.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Kelly had some fantastic lines, like when he yelled at the lard-ass in the championship game.

Draft saved Draft deleted