1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dealing with creepy co-workers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KG, Oct 25, 2007.

1. KG

KG Active Member

There's this weirdo at work who recently went up a notch on the creep meter. When I first started working there, he seemed like just another friendly guy. Then he started getting a little too friendly. A couple of other coworkers and I joked about it behind his back, sarcastically calling him my "boyfriend" because of the way he acts towards me.

It was weird then, but he just keeps getting worse. I've been trying to avoid even making eye contact with him, because not only was the way he talked to me going too far, but he was becoming a MAJOR invader of my personal space. Even several other people I work with have said something to me about how he is acting towards me now.

Here's where it gets even more weird. His soon to be ex-wife works there too. He's doing this shit right in front of her. She kicked him out about a week or so ago, because apparently he screws around (although the thought that anyone would want to even consider sex with him blows my mind).

Anyway, now that I've backed off speaking to him and even do my best to avoid eye contact, he's getting worse. I can be way across the room and will notice him sitting there staring at me. I've even had people be pretty damn obvious with trying to stand between where I'm sitting and where he's sitting to block his view (you'd think he'd get the hint).

Last night I was sitting at this break table with a friend and he came over and sat down by me. I made some lame excuse to go outside, so my friend and I went out and sat in my car to get away from him. That creep followed us outside after about a minute or so and sat in his car, which was just a couple of spaces away from mine.

I don't feel like he has done anything that would be worthy of making an official complaint with the company about him (yet), but I feel like I have to say something to someone to get him to back off. I mean there's a difference between someone flirting all the time and what he is doing. It doesn't feel like fun and games with him, it feels like future creepy psycho stalker dude.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If he makes you feel uncomfortable, and others are talking about it, then yes, it's worth a complaint.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I really just want to tell you to ask him what the fuck his problem is, but that would probably only exacerbate the situation.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't think you've got to say anything to him. He probably read your post while you were typing it and got the hint.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Well-played, sir.

6. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Get a shotgun and handle your business. Just kidding. You should file a complaint. You notice it and your coworkers notice it as well. You have witnesses that this guy is crossing the line with you.

7. Kick him in the balls. Nuff said.

8. KG

KG Active Member

Funny stuff, but I'm not at work at the moment.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

A kick in the nuts would work on me.

10. KG

KG Active Member

Yeah but that kind of goes against my idea of solving this peacefully. I do have to see this guy every day after all.

11. You'd be seeing a lot less of him after that. Best defense is a good offense.

If not, complain to your boss now. Document it. If the boss doesn't do something about it, go after his/her ass too for allowing this bullshit to happen.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Definitely worth a complaint to HR, especially if you have backup. Also, document everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted