1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deal Or No Deal: Someone explain the deal to me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Nov 9, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Seems like a bunch of morons jumping around and yelling and not doing much of anything except trying to get a more profitable suitcase. What am I missing here? Why is it the biggest show on NBC? Or did I just answer my own question?

I think Howie needs to do the voice of Bobby. "Sorry there's no money in that suitcase. You've won one of these little blue fuzzy things."

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I hate it. My fiancee loves it and often cries while watching it. Take from that what you will.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wait...she CRIES while watching a game show? Did she cry when they reunited a family or some shit today? (I was in the other room and half-listening) Does she need several hankies for the Showcase Showdown on Price Is Right? :D :D

I think Deal Or No Deal is the Arena Football of TV shows: A whole lot of yelling, screaming and lights and an end result that nobody in the audience gives a crap about.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm not saying anything else. I've already said too much.

5. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I'd cry too if I watched that show.

I swear, this shit goes in cycles. Years ago it was "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire," "The Weakest Link," McEnroe's "The Chair." This year we have Howie's show, Saget's new show and I've seen commercials for some Shatner-hosted affair.
    It speaks volumes about the American viewing public when these crappy gameshows and "Who Wants To Dance Like A Star (orwhatevathafuck)" rule the Nielsen Ratings.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

At the TV station for which I work (which is an ABC affiliate), we did a cut-in on Election Night to announce the AP had declared a winner in the governor's race.
    We had 15 calls over the next 8 minutes from hillbillies saying, "How dare ya turn off my Dancing show!?!"
    God forbid you miss E.Smith dance on Dancing with the Stars.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Yes, I cry while watching it and YES, it's when they reunite families. I don't always watch it and didn't tonight, but it's usually when they reunite a husband who is in Iraq with his wife via satellite. I don't just cry because they win money.

Plus, it is really hard for me to watch stuff where people cry without getting a little misty. I am compassionate. I'm a chick. Get over it.

8. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I was sitting in a suite at an NBA game recently, and below us we could see the row of folks who have TV monitors every couple of seats. On three of the five monitors we could see, instead of the game being on, "Dancing with the Stars" was on!!! Ridiculous!

And spup, I'm with you - I really like "Deal or No Deal" and I cried that time the guy got a pony for his little girl.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Deal or No Deal shows the greed of America. Do you want to take $120k and walk away knowing there's a 1 in 20 chance your suitcase could have $500k or $ 1 million in it? It's all about seeing if people play the odds or let greed take over. That's the hook and why I like the show.

A more interesting show is 1 vs. 100.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

See? I've been telling everybody that it had a deeper sociological meaning than Howie Mandel looking even more like an idiot than usual. ;)

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If I were on there, I would grasp his hands tightly, and maybe he'd have a seizure.

12. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

And what's the deal with airline food?

Draft saved Draft deleted