1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Deadwood" season 3 premiere, 6/11

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spinning27, Jun 11, 2006.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Man, I'm fired up.

Read in the NY Times that Milch reached a compromise with HBO whereby this will be the last full season, but the show will wrap up next year with a pair of two-hour episodes. Sounds like HBO pulled the plug on the series because of production costs, something like $3 million per episode.

Anyway, enjoy...

2. Excellent episode. Well written, of course. And it looks like we're going to get a little more Jane early on.

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Jane is my least-favorite character on the show. Just doesn't do much for me.

But I agree, great episode. From the previews, looks like Cy will have a pretty big role next week, which is a good thing. Between Powers Boothe and Ian McShane, I'm not sure if there has ever been better acting in a TV drama.

4. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

just watched the season premier. that was a great episode, and last season didn't do a heck of a lot to keep me watching.
    but this one was action-packed. all the right characters are getting their screentime.

I'm not a huge jane fan, either, although she had the line that summed up the first episode toward the end when she told janie stubbs that every day you have to find new ways to keep on living, or something like that.

swearngin also had a great one when he was threatening to feed farnum to woo's pigs and said something about how gabriel's trumpet would blow out his fuckin remains from a pig's ass.

I'm fully on board after the first episode.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

This sets up the rest of the season nicely.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Dammit, you beat me to it. And I don't even watch the show.

7. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Best line of the show:

Swearingen: "Star's a candidate for political office. He can't whore-fuck anymore with impunity."

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Dang. :eek: ::) :eek:

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Just watched it for a second time....(Every episode requires two viewings, simply to make sure you got all the language nuances)

Good God, Ian McShane is unreal.

Looks like there's going to be some real problems between Hearst and Swearingen.

"Tell your God to ready for blood."

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Fucking pagan.

11. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Haha exactly. And the brilliance of the whole thing is that Swearingen has gone from the most despised character on the show to one you most root for -- and he hasn't changed one lick.

12. Dedo

Dedo Member

I do the same thing, and I make sure one of the viewings has the closed-caption feature on. It helps with the subtle stuff.

Also, in Sepinwall's last column on The Sopranos, he mentioned a colleague of his was going to do a similar weekly look at Deadwood. So I looked it up, and here's the link:

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/zollerseitz/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1150075510149920.xml&coll=1

It's not quite as insightful as Sepinwall's stuff, and getting Deadwood info from a New Jersey paper sort of feels like getting picante sauce from New York City, but it's still an interesting read.

Draft saved Draft deleted