1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadwood 7/9 (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beer_Baron, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Beer_Baron

Beer_Baron Member

Hot damn, what an episode.

What a season.

The fight between Dan and the captain has to be seen to be believed.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I TiVo'd it. I'll watch it when I get home.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Holy shit! That was a fucking fight-and-a-half. Long live Dan!

EDIT: Fuckin' A, and that was only half-way through the episode. Best one of the season, by far.

4. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Best, most violent episode of the season. This show continues to be the hearty, 12-course dinner before the chocolate mousse-lite dessert that is Entourage.

Jesus that fight was brutal. Very grim episode, but that is what Deadwood does. It does grim and grimy.

http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/zollerseitz/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/115252351496300.xml&coll=1

5. Beer_Baron

Beer_Baron Member

Not only was the fight brutal, but it struck me as a metaphorical "this is how the sausage gets made" regarding government/progress and all that jazz.

6. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

The more I think about it, the more brilliant that episodewas. That fight was fucking insane. 'Deadwood' somehow manages to increase tension AND momentum every week.

And no offense intended, but I'm shocked ---- saddened, even ---- that only four people on this board have commented. I truly enjoy 'Entourage,' but watching 'Deadwood' first and then 'Entourage' makes 'Entourage' seem faggy.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The scene with the eyeball hanging out was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen on TV, topping the chainsaw part in "Scarface" and Joe Theismann's leg being broken.

8. Beer_Baron

Beer_Baron Member

Disgusting but effective. To Hearst, this whole Deadwood thing is just another acquisition. To Al, Dan and the others there, it literally is life and death.

I love Sopranos but this season of Deadwood is so much better than the latest from David Chase, it isn't even funny. Milch is getting into all the deep themes and what not, just like Chase, but that doesn't prevent the storyline from... you know... progressing at a reasonable pace!

Also, like that column linked earlier, contrast Alma's relapse with that of Christopher and Nurse Hathaway or whatever her actual name is.

If The Wire comes out with its fastball in Season 4--even though, sadly, few will watch it--does that bump Sopranos to third on the HBO depth chart? I think it might.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

It was also beautiful that there was the two seconds getting dirty fighting it out in the mud, while the bosses were up top on their balconies, clean and looking down on the fray, acting like their own Julius Caesar as their men look to them for the thumbs up or down on whether or not to kill.

Early nod for next year for an Emmy for Gerald McRaney for his work thus far. Stellar. But of course, so are Powers Booth, Ian McShane, etc.

10. One word: tremendous ...

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Hey, Dan Allan Rayed the Captain!
    This is the stuff we waited all spring for The Sopranos to deliver, on so many levels.
    Can't wait to see how Hearst's arrest and Alma renewing acquaintance with laudanum play out next week.
    For all the valuable services she's rendered to the camp (not to mention Swearengen and Star), Trixie deserves a kill of her own.

12. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

I thought deadwood season one was better than the previous sopranos season when they ran at 9 and 10 pm a couple years ago. and this season of deadwood is far superior to the most recent sopranos half-season. I dig the sopranos, but this season of deadwood has been outstanding.

I'm fascinated by al's wrestling with his inner psyche over what to do with hearst...hell, I'm fascinated by most everything about the al character. one of the most interesting on tv.

Draft saved Draft deleted