1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadwood 6-25 (Spoilers alert!)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chi City 81, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Curious as to the fallout between Hearst and Swearingen.

EDIT: Excited to see Brian Cox added to the cast.

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

"Bacon?"

"Might have a human aftertaste."

3. "Goes through her men like Sherman to the fucking sea."

4. Dedo

Dedo Member

"I'm the only man in camp who speaks both languages."

The Hearst-Swearengen-Bullock dynamic -- three smart, stubborn alpha males prone to sudden, quick-tempered acts of violence -- is nothing short of fascinating. And it's great that Al, with his Ozzie Guillen-like ruminations about his own manhood, is now looking like the most vulnerable, yet most reasonable, one of the bunch.

With this show now running after reruns of "The Wire," it's hard to imagine any two-hour block of television being any better...

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Agreed, Dedo. Phenomenal television.

6. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

Hearst's final in-the-shadows speech to Cy was chilling, as was his reaction while Alma read her proposal.

I agree about the Swedgin-Bullock-Hearst triangle. But if Cy's going to be castrated, let's shorten his appearances, shall we?

7. It's amazing how Swearengen has flip-flopped roles. I remember watching the first few episodes and hating him above all. Now I think I pull for him over everyone else. This season is rolling so far, and you can feel there is going to be an epic clash at some point. Even better than the one where Bullock and Swearengen beat the shit out of each other last season.

And how about Ellsworth showing some balls in the meeting with Alma and Hearst. That was great.

8. Dedo

Dedo Member

That's funny about Swearengen, Scribbled. A friend of mine is just starting to watch the show, beginning with the first season. He's only a few episodes in, and he says to me this week, "Man, that Al Swearengen is about the most despicable character I've ever seen."

I wanted so badly to tell him that by Season 3, he was going to be loving old Al, but I figured it would be best to let him figure that out on his own...

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Has Al flip-flopped? Or is it simply that by comparison, everyone else is that much more ruthless?

Either way, you have to "root" for Al. Milch really created a brilliant character.

10. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

Save Doc Cochran!

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

As good as tonight's was, it couldn't top last week. To officially be an all-timer, an episode must include a healthy dose of Jane. In tonight's, there was none.
    New job for Richardson: pray to the Lord God of Antlers that consumption is not overtaking Doc.
    She may be just off the stagecoach, but I already lurve Auntie Lou.

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Must have Jane to have a classic Deadwood? I couldn't disagree more. I'll trade less Jane for more Cy any day of the week. Though I did think last week's episode was Jane's finest moment on the show.

That will be too bad if Doc Cochran kicks the bucket. I always enjoy watching his meltdowns.

Draft saved Draft deleted