1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin with some more solid investigative journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doodah, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I had this conversation with a co-worker this morning. I think what's more scary is the fact that kids like Doodah actually believe this is what strong journalism is. When this is what we used to view as "The National Inquirer," a publication that used to be taken with a grain of salt.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Exactly.

I hesitate to speak to journalism classes anymore, because what I would tell them is probably far away from the reality of today, right or wrong.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The better off/not better off with the Internet is a complex question given the main issue, it giving us access to people and things all over the world while tending to cause us to isolate from personal contact more. In other words, building a world community while tearing down local community

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

As newspapers lean toward extinction and journalistic ethics are becoming a thing of the past, I just wonder if there will be a day and age when writers on blogs will be held accountable the way newspapers are. It seems all is fair game because it's not in print. That bothers me.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Journalistic ethics" have simply returned to where they were 100 years ago. Discuss.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm thinking we need every Deadspin article posted here.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

DESTRUCTION OF COSTA CONCORDIA WAS THE WORK OF AN ENEMY.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

REMEMBER THE CONCORDIA!

9. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

Speaking of Deadspin: http://deadspin.com/5855433/am-i-sick-are-we-all-sick-overwrought-things-the-media-wrote-to-auburns-pr-guy-during-cam-newtons-wild-2010-season

Fair? Foul? Are you now scared to send e-mails?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This.

11. doodah

doodah Guest

I'm just amazed at the lack of professionalism of some of the emails, specifically from Joe Schad.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Doodah,

You need to read other sites besides Deadspin. The major papers in the country, including the Wall Street Journal, should be part of your daily reading habits. Delete Deadspin from your bookmarks.

Draft saved Draft deleted