1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin with some more solid investigative journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doodah, Jan 17, 2012.

1. doodah

doodah Guest

Hate on them all you want, but Deadspin has not only possibly the funniest writers on the Internet, but also the greatest amount of user interaction. It's amazing how much they were able to find with the help of their readers. And I like that they disclose everything about their process. Should Deadspin have told his wife's boss that? It's debatable, but at least they admitted it.

2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

BTW, no one has won a Pulitzer Prize because they opened a tip line and printed what responders said. Just sayin'

Funniest writers on the Internet? The Onion writers might have something to say about that.

3. doodah

doodah Guest

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure 99.9 percent of this board would agree Deadspin is a destination job writers dream of getting.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'll give it too you, doods. They are pretty good at practically investigating random videos showing drunken, obnoxious jerks acting like assholes.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Can you please quantify "greatest amount of user interaction"?

6. doodah

doodah Guest

Look at all the comments on all the stories, the amount of tips they get to investigate different things. Their coverage area is the whole United States but they don't use credentials or anything. They rely on readers to tip them off.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yep, great "journalism" there.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I, for one, dream of writing about nothing but who athletes, ESPN cameramen and sons of small Alabama TV stations are having sex with.

Oh, wait, I wouldn't ever want to do that.

What I would love to do, though, is not actually produce anything myself, but instead get emails links to YouTube videos, write a few snarky lines, call and harass some emailer's wife and call myself an investigative journalist. That's what I'd really like to do.

Oh, wait. I wouldn't want to do that either.

What I would REALLY REALLY like to do is get inflammatory tips about minor celebrities or athletes emailed to me from other people trying to get paid, then publish those emails without doing any legwork, allowing me to both spread potentially bullshit rumors AND claim I didn't spread bullshit rumors about anyone because I just passed along this hilarious email from an idiot trying to get a payday.

Oh. Damn, nope. I don't want to do that either.

What part of life at Deadspin am I envious of again?

9. doodah

doodah Guest

The pay.

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Sorry, kid. Not quite.

12. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Why are some of the board vets playing into doody's hand?

Draft saved Draft deleted