1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend story was a hoax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Um. Er.

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

2. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Um, yeah. Wow. I don't have much use for most Deadspin stories, but that was quite a takedown of this storyline.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, my God.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's hard to even fathom.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If true, this is 10 times worse than Tim Johnson lying about his Vietnam service record. That's about the only thing I can think of that comes close.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Deadspin: Te'o's "dead girlfriend" a hoax ...

Either the Deadspin folks have a five-star investigative piece on their hands, or the Te'os OWN them.

Either way ... damn.

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

rb

7. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Manti Te'o's deceased girlfriend a fraud?

So says Deadspin ... some major investigative work here ...

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I get the feeling he had an Internet girlfriend who faked her death. A "Catfish"-type deal.

I remember it was somewhat foggy when the story first broke - that his grandmother and "a friend" had died that week. Then it kind of blew up overnight.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Re: Deadspin: Te'o's "dead girlfriend" a hoax ...

This speaks, um, heh...poorly...of Te'o. Stephen Glass territory.

But a lot of news organizations just got exceedingly duped for failing to do some pretty basic reporting. And in this day and age, that really shouldn't happen to this extent.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How bad do a bunch of reporters look right now?

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Like, he believes the story to be true?

That would be something. Have you seen the new MTV version of Catfish? Crazy shit.

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Toward the bottom of the story, the reporters bring up whether it's that or that he knew and was in on it. The amount of lies that were told make it seem like he had to be in on it at some level.

Either way, this is crazy. I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.

Edit: Or, do you mean that you think he had an Internet girlfriend who faked her death, and then once he realized he'd been duped, he ran with it to try and save face?

Draft saved Draft deleted