1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: ESPN laying off hundreds today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by da_grand_pubah, May 21, 2013.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Very few of the tards on this board know anything about Berman or other personalities on ESPN except from what they catch on SportsCenter. We're not pals, but Berman has always been kind to me. I don't wish misfortune on anyone. It appalls me to see so many gloat over our fellow journalists - be they good or bad - getting the axe.
    By the way, May marked Hoppes' four-year anniversary with ESPN.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Thanks for stopping by, Leather.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Don't mention it. Glad to stop through.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I feel a bit bad for everybody who lost a job, but Hoppes gets a tiny little sliver of it while the PAs and researchers and other folks who haven't violated the basic rule of their job but still lost it get way more.

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

If the "talent" is safe does that mean Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless are potentially out since they have none?

6. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Imagine what it would feel like to get that pink slip when just a couple weeks ago they shelled out a gazillion bucks for the SEC rights. All that cash capitalizing on unpaid student-athletes, topped off by 400 getting whacked.

The American Dream, baby.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There was a reason I put the word in parentheses. :D

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why anniversaries matter, but May, while being his four-year anniversary at ESPN, also marks the one-year anniversary of Hoppes being exposed for hiring a freelancer (sight unseen), who turned out to be a fake persona, to write columns for his site. And July is the one-year anniversary of Hoppes being exposed for copying-and-pasting Wikipedia entries and using them in his columns. Anniversaries are fun.

I feel badly for anyone who loses their job through no fault of their own. Hoppes should have lost his job twice in the last 12 months because of his own actions. The fact that he was able to cash a year's worth of paychecks after that is something he should hit his knees and thank his bosses at ESPN/Disney for every single night.

9. Mizzougrad96

How long was Hoppes at ESPN?

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

11. Mizzougrad96

I wonder if he had a 4-year contract and they're just not renewing. I am under the impression that ESPN usually works with two and three year contracts, but I certainly would not have been surprised if Hoppes got four years when he left Orlando.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Meeting Berman was Brip's second-biggest moment, behind rescuing Mao.

Draft saved Draft deleted