1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: ESPN laying off hundreds today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by da_grand_pubah, May 21, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

To be fair, everybody is overly praised after they lose their job due to layoffs.

Hoppes may be the only exception...

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I watch the most mornings without the sound while I work out. I'll miss it.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He was there 26 years. I saw he made a comment about how his salary was the only reason he was let go...

Well, duh... That's the only reason 95 percent of us lost our journalism jobs.

I feel bad for him, but I don't feel nearly as bad for him as I do for the copy editor who isn't a recognizable name who will have a much, much harder time finding another job.

Layoffs always suck. People keep acting like these ESPN layoffs are somehow worse than when any other place has layoffs. There are a lot of people on this board, myself included, who lost jobs at a particularly inopportune time. My wife was pregnant when I got the axe. I know of people getting back from burying parents who were let go on their first day back. I know of someone who was called at the hospital where his daughter was having major surgery to be let go. I know of someone who was called while on his honeymoon.

They all suck. But life goes on.

Most newsrooms have a Schwab type, someone (usually a copy editor) who spends every vacation going to games or parks, someone who just lives for sports. These are the people who can list the home run leader for every year since they were born and can list every Heisman winner in about 90 seconds... I love those guys, I'm glad I'm not one of them, but I love those guys.

It's sad, but let's not pretend it's any sadder than it was for anyone else.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Well, that's where you're wrong. It was sadder for him and pretty much everyone else than it was for Hoppes.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, wasn't that the point of espnnews? To show highlights in a quick form?

And now that is gone?

ay yi yi

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Howie has the most amazing brain in the sports business.

He'll be hired by someone by sundown, but ESPN is really showing their true colors by letting him go.

Draft saved Draft deleted