1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadspin: ESPN laying off hundreds today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by da_grand_pubah, May 21, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I saw something on Twitter that the number could be around 400.

2. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Not trying to make a statement, but how many minions could keep their jobs if they got rid of like, one Berman. Or like, 12 of the 20 pregame guys.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Because it would be good for ESPN or because it would be good for the minions?

4. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Like I said, there was nothing behind my statement, more curious to see the numbers behind it.

5. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

A more relevant example than Berman, who has his uses and institutional value, might be Rick Reilly—an expensive and high-profile free-agent hire who has faded into the Bristol forest.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Because those shit heels are thought to be "talent."

7. Mizzougrad96

I'll be surprised if any big names from the TV portion of ESPN are let go. There will probably be names that are recognizable to us, but not that many others, as well as people who are behind the scenes.

The Deadspin article had some mention of a Denver office being shut down.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I'd bet it's producers, editors and people we have never heard of.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

And some people who post here.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

ESPN has expanded pretty dramatically -- and wastefully IMO -- in the last few years. Lot of college and even pro writers leaving them with six articles/blog posts on issues that need one or two. Regional sites etc. and there are a lot of behind-the-scenes workers involved. This is probably an answer to overambitious expansion plans.

11. Mizzougrad96

Sadly, that's probably the case... Just what ESPN needs... Less copy editors... Good lord...

Most of the writers and on-air talent at ESPN have contracts. They're usually two or three years long sometimes with an option year. I'm guessing those people would not be subject to this layoff.

Draft saved Draft deleted