1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadliest Catch

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Just_An_SID, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have a buddy who did a season in the Bering Sea. He said it's one of the toughest things he's ever done.

2. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

That's what got me... the money. I was doing the math in my head and it seems for the danger, the amount of money they make isn't worth it.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

One probably could get richer driving a truck in Iraq for Halliburton.

My brother has lived in Alaska for 10 years and he's fixing do that. Except he's not doing it on the Halliburton payroll ... he's doing it for 1/10 less for the Alaska National Guard starting in June.

The standard deployment is now 15 months. I told him to expect 24 months and hope for 18.

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Aren't these guys getting about 20k for two weeks work?

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I love this show, and it's the only thing I'll make sure to watch on a weekly basis. I'd struggle doing that job on solid land... to do it on a rolling ocean, with the waves and the wind and the spray... no thank you. They're all crazy as hell.. but that's why it's fun to watch.

6. Taylee

Taylee Member

I sound like my dad, but Discovery is the channel I watch the most. Deadliest Catch, Dirty Jobs, Mythbusters, Man vs. Wild, Survivorman, How It's Made, Stunt Junkies, Hazard Pay.
    I watch them all, but Deadliest Catch and Dirty Jobs are the best.
    I couldn't imaging being on a boat that long in that rough water. I went deep sea fishing once and quick throwing up only when there was nothing left to throw up.
    If you like Dirty Jobs, give Hazard Pay a shot. Watched Curt Dosset get his ass kicked in a UFC fight. Pretty entertaining show.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

[​IMG]

That was a fairly deadly catch

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Deadliest Catch is a fantastic show. I watch every week.

I like how the Cornelia Marie captain grabbed one of Blake's traps and had his crew weld it shut. Hilarious.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's two weeks at sea, not counting the weeks spent working on the boat and crab traps before the season starts.

And that's only if you have a good haul and survive.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

[​IMG]

That's one thing that might keep me off a fishing boat. This shark is still alive, and attacked the person who reeled him in on the boat. Ouch!

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

After watching a few episodes of D-C, I'd rather join the Marines and have Private Pyle as my bunk mate.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I thought this was a John Elway thing tied into Why God hates the Browns...

Draft saved Draft deleted