1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dead People Have Crappy Taste in Music

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PopeDirkBenedict, Oct 4, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

These are the top 10 most requested songs to be played at British funerals:

1. "Goodbye My Lover" - James Blunt
    (When I die, I don't want a man who sounds like two muskrats fucking in a burlap sack to sing any song in my honor).

2. "Angels" - Robbie Williams
    (What, you couldn't find a song by from a member of 98 Degrees?)

3. "I've Had The Time Of My Life" - Jennifer Warnes and Bill Medley.
    (If the song played at your funeral can be found on the Dirty Dancing soundtrack, your death was a blessing for the rest of humanity)

4. "Wind Beneath My Wings" - Bette Midler
    (Did you ever know that liking this song makes you a zero?)

5. "Pie Jesu" - Requiem
    (This song is just showing off that you know Latin, you unctous prick. What, Amazing Grace isn't good enough for you?)

6. "Candle In The Wind" - Elton John
    (Playing Candle in the Wind at your funeral doesn't make you Princess Di any more than choking on a ham sammich makes me Mama Cass)

7. "With Or Without You" - U2
    (Way to comfort your friends and family. Play a song that no one can figure out what it means.)

8. "Tears In Heaven" - Eric Clapton
    (I've got nothing here. Good choice.)

9. "Every Breath You Take - The Police
    (So is this your way of telling your loved ones that you plan to stalk them from beyond the grave?)

10. "Unchained Melody" - Righteous Brothers.
    (You are supposed to use this song to get lucky. Unless you want to be a necrophiliac's lover, find a different song.)

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyid=2006-10-04T044025Z_01_L02365268_RTRUKOC_0_US-BRITAIN-FUNERALS-1.xml

2. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

I guess I would just go with something simple like "Amazing Grace."

Forgive my religious upbringing, but maybe I'd take a nice sappy religious one like "Beulah Land." (Yeah, I know nobody else in the world knows what the heck that song is.) It's tasteful. That's all you need to know for this thread.

Funerals in the South are just unbelievable sometimes, as well. It's either all-out religious themed or you get crazy stuff like the songs above.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

okay. you tell your loved ones to be sure to play one song at your funeral. what would it be?

my wife knows it's jackson browne's "for a dancer" for me. then she should just play our favorite up-beat songs. her choice.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm shocked that the English didn't have one of those Crazy Frog ringtones in the top 10.

I want Ripple by the Grateful Dead played. And Amazing Grace by a bagpiper.

5. busdriver

busdriver Member

In regards to "Beulah Land" it is a remarkable song and for you to know the true meaning of that song is a tribute to you. Happens to be one of my Fav.songs ever

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

"I'm Going Straight to Hell" Drivin n Cryin

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm Baptist, so it's Beulah Land and Amazing Grace for me. I just hope Amazing Grace is played by a bagpiper.

I heard it for the first time this summer at a wedding. Cried like a baby.

8. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

You never saw Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan? :)

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

No, sorry.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Don't make me sing Under the Rainbow.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

This one's easy: "Killed By Death" by Motorhead.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It would probably be Bruce Springsteen's "Across the Border"

Although it's tempting to borrow an idea from Rob Gordon and have my wife sing "You're the Best Thing That's Ever Happened"

Draft saved Draft deleted