1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DC Tourist Advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Jan 20, 2011.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Just got back from DC with our basketball team. Our hotel provided a shuttle bus to Union Station, and we metrorailed all over. Sunday rates were $1.85 each way.

My radio guy was more interested in the famous bars, restaurants and hotels than the monuments. So I got to see the Willard since Elvis stayed there and Dr. King wrote the speech there and the term lobbyist was coined there and ate at Old Ebbit Grill, which indeed is pretty cool and the crab cakes were worth the price. He convinced me to go to the Palm for dinner and picked up the tab when I saw the cheapest steak was $29 and didn't include any side items. Damn good steak and cool restaurant, but I knew I didn't belong there when the waiter said he served Roger Goodell the night before.

I hadn't been to DC in 20 years. Did the WW II memorial, which was impressive, Washington Monument and downtown Air and Space. I know the Dulles is probably more impressive, but anytime you get to see the Wright Brothers' plane, The Spirit of St. Louis, the Apollo 11 command module and the original shooting more of the USS Enterprise, it's 2 hours well spent...

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I can only echo everyon else on the Old Ebbitt Grille. Awesome place. Clyde's is also always really good.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I've been to Cafe Milano. If you drink at all, you won't get out for less than $75/head, but the food is from God.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, my lovely niece eats mainly macaroni and hot dogs. So we'll probably go more casual, as long as the place has Grey Goose. Not for her.

Decided to pop for the Caps tickets, $125 each on stubhub, near the roof, I think, but center ice so they should be okay. I hope.

Sounds like the weather is going to be a disaster, so this should be a terrific adventure.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Okay, completely going with the SJ recommendations, God help me. 8) One dinner at Old Emmitt's, one dinner at Cafe Milano, maybe Clyde's before or after the Caps game.

My sister (whose daughter I am taking) is calling/texting me once a minute: What kind of coat? How many shoes? How many bags can she check? (Seriously.) Will there be maceronie [sic]?

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I enjoyed DC so much as a teenager in college. Really, I enjoyed the bars in DC so much as a teenager in college. Think they've cracked down a bit since those days. Used to buy my liquor at a store in the Watergate that accepted my student ID (without birthdate) as proof of age. Arlen Specter used to come wobbling in. Anyway, even though your niece has a teenage diet, you can get burgers, wings, etc...at Old Ebbitt and Clyde's. They cater to families, too. Have fun! And have an exit strategy in place at each DC hangout should you run into Albert Haynesworth. The threat level is currently at bright orange.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

A couple of things best to visit after dark, then the experience is more dramatic: Jefferson Memorial, Vietnam Memorial. That would probably apply to the Lincoln as well, but I never tried that.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Henry, that's exactly what I plan to do, take her to the Vietnam Memorial at night. Did it once and I never forgot it, so eerie and solemn.

As for the DC bar scene, pretty sure my niece can drink me under the table but we both have to be on good behavior so it all doesn't come out next thanksgiving. ('Why am I doing this ridiculous trip,' I asked Boom. 'Giblets,' he said.)

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

The Korean Memorial at night is also incredible...very close to the Vietnam Memorial, too...

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Definitely going to do that, never seen it. How late can you be out there before it's not safe? I take too many chances, but feel like I have the responsibility of not scaring the girl.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Oh, that's a really safe area, at least in my experience. Patrolled, secure, and lots of tourists doing the exact same thing as you late at night. I've been there after midnight and felt completely comfortable.

It's such an underrated monument, IMO. You can't be anything but silent as you walk the perimeter and absorb the haunted stone faces. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The monuments are fine at night. You never hear an issue about them. Hold on to your purses and smartphones around the Verizon Center. The Chinatown Metro stop is among the 5 most criminally active stops, with crime at a five-year high on Metro. Mostly stolen iphones, ipads, etc. Also, a shit ton of escalators are busted. Get ready for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted