1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DC Tourist Advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Jan 20, 2011.

1. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I'm actually going to vote against Gettysburg -- unless you go in the evening. There are a bazillion ghost tours up there at night. They are cheesy, but they are also cheap and a reasonable amount of fun. Some of the tour guides seriously believe their town is haunted. I've watched a couple go out on ghost hunts after midnight when tours ended.

Stay away from the Capitals. Tickets are too expensive.

Be sure to go up in the Washington Monument. Nice view.

Go see the USA Today building in McLean. You'll have a better understanding for why Gannett is screwed. Oh, wait. That's another thread. Sorry.

2. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I went to D.C. for the first time when I was 18. My mom and I spent two days there and hit the National Zoo, the Smithsonian American and Natural History museums and the Holocaust Museum.

I would highly recommend all of them for a 16 year old. If she's into the pagentry and history of the White House, the Museum of American History is a must. They've got all sorts of presidential memorabilia there.

We also visited a variety of monuments and memorials, but none of those stuck out as much. My mom was moved by the Vietnam Memorial, and while I think it's beautifully designed and conceived, it's slightly removed from my generation (and would be even more so than hers) so it didn't have the same emotional impact for me.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If you don't eat at Ben's, consider your trip wasted. I'm only half kidding. Or maybe not at all. Actually, yeah, not at all.

And the Eastern Market is kind of cool. LOTS and LOTS of meats and cheeses, and that type of shit. There's a place there called, I think, Tortilla Cafe. Damn good fish tacos.

And yes, the DC Metro is about the easiest Metro system in the world to navigate. Moddy's right. If he can do it, any dummy can do it.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

My wife and I took our 10 and 9 year old daughters last summer.
    We stayed here:
    http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=LUAPBW2XU3ZZQCSGBIYM22Q?ctyhocn=WASAXHX
    Free breakfast, parking and shuttle to the Metro.
    We loved it and only paid about $500 for 4 nights.
    We did the Capitol tour, WM, Smithsonian and a day trip to Kings Dominion.
    Lot of fun!

5. I don't tell out of town friends that Ben's is end-all-be-all of DC joints (I used to when I first got here), but I don't discourage people from going there. It's good shit, as it has been for 50 fucking years. In fact, I need to get back there myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Oh, it's definitely not the end-all-be-all of DC joints. But it is always the first place I recommend. Mainly because it's unique, I guess. You can get good seafood at a ton of places. Good steaks are everywhere. Same with Mexican and sushi. Ben's....well...Ben's is....unique.

I'm also well overdue for a trip there. You buying, McNulty?

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Closing on on this fiasco-in-the-making, I'm so appreciative of all the advice.

Just need a couple restaurant reviews. Any opinion on:
    --Capital City Brewing Company (downtown)
    --Thunder Burger & Bar (in Georgetown)

Going to try Cafe Milano on Dyno's advice. Looking for something else fun and casual in Georgetown, and maybe something near the Verizon Center.

Also, is it worth going to the Treasury to see the money? She really wants to go, I can't tell whether it's worth it.

Thanks again, folks.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The food at Capitol City Brewing Co. sucks. I'm not a big beer drinker, but they're known for beer, not food. Don't know anything about Thunder Burger.

I hope you get a good celeb sighting at Cafe Milano. I'll feel badly if you don't.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Never been to the Cap City downtown, only the one in Shirlington, and the food was fine -- I was drinking, I wasn't too fussy.

Did the Bureau of Engraving a number of years ago...thought it was interesting, but I'm a massive nerd.

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Agree with Dyno on the food at Capitol City. Clyde's is a local chain with a gorgeous restaurant next to the Verizon Center. The food is actually really good. Clyde's also owns The Old Ebbitt Grill, which is in close proximity to the White House. That's a great spot to hit up if you are not too familiar with DC. Great people watching!! I didn't read through the thread, so my apologies if these have locations have already been mentioned...

http://www.clydes.com/main/RestaurantsDetail.cfm?Restaurant=clydes_of_gallery_place&Section=Main

http://www.ebbitt.com/main/home.cfm?Section=Main&Category=About_the_Ebbitt

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My standard advice is drink at Dan's in Adams Morgan. But early, before the youngsters show up.

12. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I just had my first meal at Old Ebbit Grill a couple of weeks ago. What a cool restaurant. I wasn't in love with the food, but the Crab Cakes were good, I tried Oysters for the first time, had a couple of brewskis, and great company. There was just something neat about that place. It may also be the largest restaurant I've been in. Place was huge, and packed, on a weeknight. Great service and ambiance.

I've only lived here for a couple of months now, but I've had absolutely zero gripes about the Metro. It's easy to get around on and seems to stop near most of the major touristy type stuff.

This post has helped me realize I've done very little touristy stuff since I've lived here. Last Saturday, I planned on going into a few of the Smithsonians, but I walked into the Air & Space museum, saw a shit ton of kids, and decided I'd rather go drink a beer.

I do a decent amount of work in the Congressional offices. If you stopped by the office of your Congressmen, his staff would probably be happy to see you and show you around the place a bit. Most of the offices are staffed by overachieving twenty somethings that are pretty accommodating. YMMV based on the office, I suppose. Anyone can walk into the House/Senate office buildings. I've been told the new-ish Capitol Visitors Center is really nice/impressive, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted