1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DC Outing Sat 8/25, 4 p.m. Ugly Mug

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Aug 6, 2018.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Cool deal. I've no idea where it is but plan on it Saturday.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The Ugly Mug
    723 8th Street, SE

The closest metro is Eastern Market, although the Blue/Orange/Silver lines are running on seriously limited schedules through Sunday. Even Metro says to find alternate transportation.

What time are meeting?

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Non outing question but for DC folks. Bringing the parents to town for few days. Washington Marriott Wardman Park has nice rates right now. Doesn't look too far out of the way but anyone familiar with area?

From site
    I'm familiar with the metro so if we need to get on that to get to normal touristy things, not a problem. But just wondering if it's super far out of range of things or what.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I may have to bail due to a death in the family. Will keep you posted.

If I can make it, I can pick people up and drive over, since the Metro is all jacked up.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My cousin stays there when she’s in town - it’s nice. It’s not too far from the tourist stuff. I wouldn’t walk it, but I think it’s only three or so stops on the Red Line. And the Metro stop is literally right there at the corner outside the hotel.

Of course, the zoo is right there (less than 10 minutes walking). There’s a really good Cajun seafood place right across the street, too. DuPont Circle is only a mile away.

Small Town Guy likes this.
  6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Agree with MC about the Marriott. It’s definitely too far to walk to the Mall, but it’s a decent location. I just checked - right now an Uber from the hotel to the Museum of American History is $12, which is not much more than the Metro for 3 people is.

Small Town Guy likes this.
  7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

As it turns out, I had a buddy in town last week who stayed there for a convention. He had nothing but terrible things to say about the hotel - awful beds and bad bar service.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Game starts at 4:05. 4 p.m.?

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I was there briefly last weekend, will be there the following weekend. Won't be there this weekend. But tip one for me. Used to go to the Ugly Mug regularly and I miss that place. I assume they still do the golf cart shuttle to the ballpark, though a game is not part of this outing?

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

They stopped doing the shuttle to Nats Park. I'm not sure when, but it's been a few years at least.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'll be there around 4. Dressed to kill in capris, flip flops and a Whataburger T-shirt.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

See you at 4!

Draft saved Draft deleted