1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daytona 500 Virgin

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Feb 8, 2013.

1. I'm going to the Daytona 500. Not only is this my first Daytona 500 - it's my first NASCAR race. Looking for suggestions or advice - what should I do or be looking for?

My seats are in the Weatherly Box and I'm staying in New Smyrna at a B&B on the Intercoastal.

Thanks in advance.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Drink a lot. A lot.
    Wear comfortable shoes.
    Take suntan lotion.
    Plan to get there 5-6 hours before the race (maybe earlier) if you want to beat traffic. Otherwise, you'll be in traffic for 5-6 hours.
    Go to the Ale House.
    Go to Lollipops.

Repeat the last one.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That Irish boy's gonna get sunburnt something fierce.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

What is an 8-year-old girl who can outrun her 10-year-old brother?

I went to one NASCAR race at Dover. I have no interest in cars or racing, but I was a rabid sports fan. Much bigger sports fan in my teens and 20s than I have been later in life.

Anyway, people kept telling me: You've got to see a race in person. It's totally different. You'll love it.

Didn't work out that way. Just a really long, loud, boring day.

So have fun.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Daytona 500 virgin, huh? A few hours in the infield ought to take care of that.
    At Talladega, the over-under is an hour.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Spend as little time in Volusia County as humanly possible.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Keep the advice (and jokes) coming ... I've never been to Daytona but scored tickets for my Dad and brother, who I doubt could name three drivers. They just want to cross Daytona off the bucket list. If it's the typical 500 that has some ridiculous delay and then the g-w-c dance, there's no way they'll stay 'til the end. Good chance they'll leave thinking like Buck.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Pick up a copy of ESPN annual NASCAR issue. It will be a good primer for you.

9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Bring earplugs or headphones or something of that ilk. There will be NOISE - lots of it and for a long time.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Infield is the place to be at all the big races.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Wear hearing protection. Lots of sunscreen. Rehydrate. Bring a book. Drive the beach. Walk the boardwalk. Visit the garages. Free mammograms? Infield, Turn 3.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Was only in Daytona once, for Bike Week ages ago, but I did enjoy a couple of nights at the Boot Hill Saloon. Charming place to take the missus for a romantic evening.

Draft saved Draft deleted