1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daytona 500 v. NBA AllStar Game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

But you do see the glorification of hateful, woman-demeaning hip-hop culture, so maybe it evens out ...

3. We had Daytona as the centerpiece on the front and had two full pages inside.

We ran a 15-inch NBA All-Star game story inside.

4. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

So in other words, this whole made-up theory of the Daytona 500 getting less media play than the All-Star Game is completely false?

You don't say...

5. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I'm with Nelson. I don't know what Abbott is talking about. The 500 coverage on ESPN was extensive. Their all-star game coverage was minimal.

6. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

By golly, I've got it! This misperceived lack of coverage is redheaded stepchild conspiracy syndrome.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Did your paper's lead columnist do a piece on the ASG or Daytona? Which story was given more space and better placement? On the local news which did the sports guy lead with, ASG or Daytona?

Seems like the major daily papers in the major cities devoted more resources and coverage to the ASG than to Daytona.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Fixed, in a fashion that may serve to explain something important.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We devoted most of the front to the Daytona 500. The ASG gamer was tucked away on the agate page.

But I don't see what the big deal is if NYC, LA or other major metro papers gave more to the ASG. Why can't we trust those SEs and ASEs to know their readers better than we do?

10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

You got some sports fronts from around the nation to show us as proof of your assumption or is this just an educated guess?

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

ESPN's so far up the NBA's ass it's not a fair comparison. Then again they do have NASCAR now, so that might have explained the D500 leading off Sportscenter. I think that was the story, IMHO.

Now that you mention it, ESPN really didn't do a lot on the ASG, probably because a competitor has it. ;D

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted