1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dayton Daily News photo chief quits rather than layoff people

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Aug 31, 2011.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Did you read the story about it? He already has side work and he basically said that really won't be an issue for him.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well that's good then.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got to think if you are a professional photographer and committed to producing a better product - getting the word that you have to cut staff makes you realize that you and your employer and have different agendas.
    It's easy to say, harder to do - just walk away from the only job many of us have ever wanted - but I imagine going through with the cuts would make it tougher to look yourself in the mirror or your colleagues in the eyes. Not to mention the ghosts that lurk around a newsroom.
    If we were just making widgets I think it might be different. But people don't go into newspapers for the cash, it's a pretty personal job and an emotional commitment - you lose that, what makes this job special, and you might as well leave.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Good for Price -- I salute him for taking a stand. And not just on the layoffs.

The Dayton paper's "dumbing down" and de-emphasis of good photos for infographics made me feel ill.

Pretty soon "newsrooms" will consist of executive editors, graphic designers (not page designers) and maybe one wrangler of unpaid bloggers. Ugh.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

x100.

I was appalled by that. Do they tell their sports shooters to not zero in on specific players but instead to get the entire field?

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

On a smaller scale, I had a publisher on my hind end about that for years at our suburban daily.

"So, why are you covering the Indianapolis 500 when I'm PAYING the Associated Press to cover it? I'm PAYING you to cover local sports."

"Uh, because there's a local driver in the Indianapolis 500 and local crew members and local people the AP won't really care about?"

(or, the variant, "why do you cover the Colts when we pay the AP?" Me: "Because they give us one story that every other paper in America runs. We write PM second-day ledes on the game, combine our coverage with the other papers in the chain that don't have a problem sending reporters, and do huge numbers of web hits.")

7. onceuponaX

onceuponaX New Member

Amen to this.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If Price worked for another company, the Dayton paper would put him on A1 and write an editorial lauding him for standing up for the little guy.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I hope his decision didn't create too much of a hardship for his family.

10. joe

joe Active Member

Survivor guilt is powerful and often debilitating. Damn emotions.

Draft saved Draft deleted