1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dawn Staley's approach with local media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Apr 23, 2024.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Many years ago I was a local colleges writer in SoCal, including for a D-II school and a D-III school. The SID at the D-II school did a really good job and I got along really well with him. He actually introduced me to my now-ex-wife, who did some work in his office. He later left for a school in the Midwest. The D-III SID was kinda flighty and never pushed any good stories. Then I moved inside onto the copy desk.

Colorado had a great SID in Dave Plati before his semi-retirement. That office routinely was voted among the best SID offices in the country. No idea how it is now. Dave still does historical work there as well as men's golf coverage.

Liut likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

After my time on the student paper was up, I worked the rest of my college days, plus a semester after I graduated when the person who was to fill my baseball gig couldn't do it at the last minute, with Lawrence Fan. Dedicated to San Jose State above and beyond the call of duty, like sleeping in his car outside the Shark Tank when SJS hosted a NCAA regional, and always had an idea for everyone. Learned a hell of a lot under him.

Just stumbled across the program for his celebration of life and looking at some of the speakers: Marc Spears, Doug Vance (then CoSIDA executive director), Tom Bowen (former AD at SJS, Memphis and Arkansas State), Brett Brennan, Amy Villa (still in the SID office at SJS), Mark Purdy, Krazy George Henderson and Dr. Harry Edwards. Tim Tessalone was there as part of the CoSIDA delegation.

Last edited: May 3, 2024
  3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I have a good friend who is an SID and whose school hosted San Jose State in exactly one event. Couldn't say enough nice things about Lawrence.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

First time I encountered Lawrence Fan was at a mid-70s San Jose State-Long Beach State football game at Anaheim Stadium. I only went because my former college roommate was the beginning a stint as SID at Long Beach. I saw this guy pacing the press box, back and forth, wearing out the carpet. Oh, that's Lawrence Fan. I said it's funny that the SID is more nervous about this game than the coach. But a wonderful guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted