1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Segui: I legally used HGH

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by flaming_mo, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Jones

Jones Active Member

We crossed paths in Toronto. And when I say "crossed paths," I mean that I ran away screaming like Homer.

2. Dynasty99

Dynasty99 Member

Yeah, he didnt suck that much. He was a low .300- high .290 hitter with like 400-500 AB's a year. He was okay. He would have proven more consistant if he had been on the field more than he was.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Author of the Iliad, or idiot like Simpson?

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've been suggesting this possibility for a while now in these debates yet I was always shot down. Besides David Segui I bet there are a lot of players walking around with legal / legit prescriptions for HGH and ever steroids.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm willing to bet David Segui is more aberration than the norm. Remember, even though he told Grimsley to go to his doctor, Grimsley got the drugs on the black market. Most players aren't going to want to leave a paper trail of themselves cheating.

In any case, there are more doctors prescribing HGH for semi-legitimate reasons than there are doctors prescribing anabolic steroids. There just aren't that many FDA-approved reasons for a person to be taking an anabolic steroid. It's AIDs patients who are wasting away, people with rare anemia diseases or hormone deficiencies.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Question for chroniclers of the talkin' sport: What is HGH's status in the current CBA? Is it covered at all, or is testing simply not done because there is no clause governing it? Or did the union balk at blood tests?

I just wonder what MLB can do if someone is using it with an (ostensibly) legal prescription and isn't allowed to test for it.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Its an interesting question and also brings up one about Ritalin which is also now banned by MLB. Tests for ADD are very subjective but yet Doctors are certifying daily that thousands or adults have the need to take medication.

If a player shows up with note from Doctor that says he has add and needs some form of ritilin it would be hard for MLB to refute.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's use is banned in baseball's CBA. However, there is not yet a reliable test -- blood or urine -- for HGH. WADA will tell you the Olympics test for HGH but Dick Pound usually forgets to point out that there's never been a positive test in the history of sports for HGH. I don't know if MLB has made any demands for blood tests but in my opinion the union would be dumb to go along with taking blood in the absence of a reliable test.

Draft saved Draft deleted