1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Segui: I legally used HGH

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by flaming_mo, Jun 18, 2006.

1. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2489724
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2489730

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I couldn't find it.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

If you used HGH, then why did you suck?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

There's that Rangers-Orioles connection again.

NEXT! ::)

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He actually wasn't a bad hitter. He was just made of tissue paper. He couldn't stay on the field long enough to ever do anything.

5. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

he was a terrific defensive player. i believe at one time he was challenging steve garvey for best fielding percentage ever by a first baseman.

a couple of toronto reporters i know said he was a total clown. i also heard he and cameron diaz shared the same agent, and he was always bugging the guy to set them up. i guess he wanted to show her how human growth hormone could be beneficial to a couple.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm detecting a lot more "who cares" about this admitted usage than there is about a lot of the rumors flying around.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Shottie, you just got a convert out of me with your statement. I didn't think of it until you wrote it.

For any fan who goes "who cares" if someone comes out or gets busted, let me give you a word of advice: you better fucking care now, tomorrow, and down the road.

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Is Segui acting as if, because a doctor prescribed it, that it was OK for him to use it? Why do we trust this doctor?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Least surprising news of the day. O's scribes have suspected this for years.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's easy enough to get a doctor to prescribe you anything, but there is actually this little cottage industry of MDs handing out HGH prescriptions like pez as an anti-aging drug. The FDA has also been making an effort to crack down on these "anti-aging" clinics.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-03-19-growth-hormone_x.htm

11. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

There are certainly some skeptics out there, but there are also a lot of true believers who think the drug is the fountain of youth.

My question is why this is such a high priority for crackdowns. Whether it's quackery or it really works, HGH is not addictive, it's not a hallucinogen or mind-altering drug, it has relatively few documented side effects. There's hardly a mass of people out there arguing for a crackdown on HGH; instead, there appear to be many satisfied customers.

12. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

No doubt when he was up our way. People joked about it. He was huge.

I like the "doctor prescribing it for a suddenly-discovered hormone deficiency" excuse.

I suspect there will be more "hormonally challenged" players down the road. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted