1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Letterman's final shows...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RecoveringJournalist, May 13, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Hasn't she been sick for awhile? I always really liked her.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Teri has multiple sclerosis, from what I hear. Yeah, she was a great guest. Was on the show a lot in the NBC days.

3. They have already nixed a Leno appearance.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Her most recent appearance (I think). Still funny despite multiple health problems.

5. RecoveringJournalist

Despite what Stern said in the most recent appearance, he's said multiple times that he doesn't know if he would have become as famous without his early Letterman appearances. Letterman was the first person to give Howard a national audience.

The Ray Romano story is great. The funniest part of that story is that Romano was the second comedian they went after. I don't think it was an either/or situation, but the first comic they tried to sign to a sitcom deal was Jeff Ross. He had some legendary set during his first Letterman appearance and was offered two sitcom deals as a result, one from Worldwide Pants and the other from the same company that was doing Seinfeld. He went with the one that was doing Seinfeld, Worldwide Pants focused its attention on Romano and made hundreds of millions of dollars as a result. Ross' show never went past the pilot.

As much as I like Ross as a comedian, I cannot imagine a show with him as the lead. I could see him doing well on an ensemble show, but not as the main guy.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I believe Tom Hanks is Monday and Bill Murray on Tuesday with nothing announced for the final show Wednesday. Use to loooooooove Teri Garr. She is in very bad shape now and I doubt she'd make a public appearance. Those two had a great chemistry back in the day.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Leno on there would be pure awkward, not a good stop on the victory tour. Murray has gotta do "Physical;" at his age and shape, it'd be awesome.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

9. RecoveringJournalist

They ran a highlights show in prime time a couple weeks ago. I haven't watched it, but it's on the DVR.

I'm thrilled he picked Murray as his final guest.

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Eddie Vedder will be Letterman's final musical guest. That's a huge disappointment.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Got to see the taping a couple weeks ago when Kevin James was the guest. As Cranberry said, it was a very cool experience.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, Eddie, along with Dave Grohl, has become Mr. Rock and Roll Everyman the last decade or so, guesting onstage with everybody under the sun, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see some of his buddies pop up (Brooce, Paul, Keef, Billy Joel??!?) for the finale.

Maybe some kind of all-star amalgamation on some Warren Zevon songs?

Draft saved Draft deleted