1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Feherty channels Ben Wright

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, May 8, 2009.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Here's a post on D Magazine's blog from editor Tim Rogers about the whole Feherty fuss.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Um... Yeah... I remember the good ol' days when telling jokes about shooting politicians point blank was funny.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

But you're fine with jokes about 9/11?

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Ummm, ...but this is different.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Something which is only acceptable when Your Friendly Neighbourhood Department of Homeland Security does it: "hey, watch out for those returning soldiers....they might be bringing the right-wing crazy back with them from the Middle East."

Actually, since that was a written report, I guess that would technically be libel rather than slander.....

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think either joke is funny.

This is a lot worse, in my opinion, because it is a slam on servicemen more so than on Pelosi or Reid.

It's also very close to one of the things I constantly harangue my kids about.

You can't say something mean or hurtful and wipe it away by claiming its a joke.

In this case, there are plenty of people who would take it seriously or applaud if it happens, so it plays not just as a joke, but as a right-wing wet dream and as a possible enticement to unstable people.

Wanda's thing was just old and tired and not funny.

Feherty has the right to say it and write it. He also gets all that he deserves from doing so.

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

As long as Gilbert Gottfried is tellin' them

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Now even less funny:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hwK_CSpBxsNuVUEaDuOwmSSCiqGwD9848AV00

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

From that D Magazine editor's blog item: "It’s just so much harder to stomach a humorless liberal than it is a humorless conservative."

Ooookay. Humorless is humorless to me.

And, as he explains it, the reason it's coming up now is because a replacement host for Rush Limbaugh read it on the air.

10. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Take it up with the Bush administration holdover who wrote the report.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Started the report, you mean? And left it for the Obama administration bureaucrats to finish and release?

Not that anyone in the department is blameless - plenty of stink to go around for everybody.

Draft saved Draft deleted