1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Feherty channels Ben Wright

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, May 8, 2009.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I would like to be clear that this is an unacceptable attempt at writing criticism.

I suppose I'm overreacting, but Jesus H. Christ. ... has it come to the point that everything has to be watered down pablum so that it doesn't offend anyone.

Feherty was asked to write something about the Bushes for D Magazine. Frankly, I'd love to parade near the Bushes' new house with a sign that reads "Indict Bush/Cheney." That's my right. Feherty's right is to write it like he sees it. He's been to Iraq so I believe he has come by his opinion honestly. It might not be a popular opinion and perhas he expressed it in a heavy-handed matter but he has the right to express it.

I often ready Feherty's stuff and think, "Crap, I wish I could string it together like he does." I read the story in question and it didn't set off any alarm bells.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I liked it. Worked for me. I'm good with that.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

CBS doesn't exactly have a rep for standing by its talent. See Jimmy the Greek, Ben Wright, Dan Rather, Jack Whitaker and Gary McCord.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

People are really offended by this "column?"

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I get tired of "the daily outrage" as much as anyone, I'm sure I've written stuff on this board that was as bad or worse. Context and audience is everything. It does bother me when people try and use something like this to "score points" - seems pretty clear he wasn't writing an op-ed for the New York Times.

6. It's pretty clear to me that he was being a dumbass and that his career in prose -- and that of his editor -- would be curtailed in fairly short order if he'd written that crap about, say, the pope. To say nothing of the shitstorm that would have erupted if he'd written it about the leaders of the previous congresses.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually, he's very funny. He went over the line in implying that any of our troops would asassinate an elected official. But a lot of humor is over someone's line. Coincidentally, Dennis Leary was on the Actor's Studio this morning and he said his career took off when he stopped putting limits on himself and realized there should be no limits.
    Really ... is anything Feherty said worse than an entire movie devoted to numerous comedians doing their own twisted version of the joke, the Aristocrats?

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There's been worse than that written and said (by comedians) about the previous congress and the previous president. Don't get so high and mighty about this.
    Or did you forget about Maher wishing for the death of the sitting vice-president?

9. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I really can't believe anyone would have a problem with that column.

10. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

If you read the comments, people who actually have worked and talked with U.S. soldiers have problems with the column. I really love the pretense, that we see so often from the right -- this rich asshole "knows" what soldiers think. Not that he's ever BEEN one or anything ...

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

The real issue here is this: Would any of you put this guy on your air with a live open mic?

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Ever read an sj political thread?

Draft saved Draft deleted