1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Cone and Orel Hershiser

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 11, 2011.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Oh bullshit. People have just become smarter when it comes to these things

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was thinking about pitchers recently, seems like there are several who are dominant for five or six years than fade out fewer who can get 10-15 wins a year over a 20 year career.
    I don't know if there is a stat for pitchers who led when they left a game - but it seems that with fewer pitchers going seven or eight innings now, relief pitchers might muck up more than a few wins that a starter might have earned over a 20 year career.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Just shocking that you would think the long-time Yankee belongs.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If you've noticed, the revamped post-Mazeroski Veterans Committee hasn't been inclined to put anyone in. They accept the results of the regular ballot and don't serve as an appeals court.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Verlander is the only pitcher in his 20s who will have 100 wins by the end of the year. I really wonder if we'll see another 300-game winner given the way teams protect pitchers on their way up.
    I'd put Morris in before Cone or Hershiser.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

To me, somebody probably needs to have a stretch in their career that at least resembles Hershiser's 85-88 stretch to be HOF material unless their accumulated stats just knock your socks off (a slightly more significant version of McGriff).

Hershiser's four-year stretch was just greatness. It was doomed to end though because his delivery was so odd it put all that torque on the shoulder and the rotator cuff injury was probably an inevitability given the pressure his delivery put on his shoulder. For the life of me, I don't see how he managed to pitch as long as he did without needing Tommy John surgery too because it just looked like there was all sorts of stress on the elbow in his delivery.

Of all the non-HOF mentioned in this thread, he's by far the best if you take them all at their peak (possible exception of Morris?). But I say that as somebody who, at the time, was a Dodgers fan (not so much any more).

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They can both go into the Jack Morris/Ron Guidry wing of the Hall of Very Good.

8. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

He's still playing, but one guy I've been adamant about getting into the hall is Johan Santana. No one was as dominant for a 5-6 year period, and if he can stay healthy he's still got a few good years left. The guy should have won three straight Cy Youngs, too bad Colon stole one from him in 2005.

9. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Yes.

Remember when everyone said Glavine would be the last 300-game winner? Sure enough Randy Johnson ended up getting there just a couple years later.

While it will be quite rare in this era of pitch counts, but it will still happen. We seem to have more quality young arms than ever before.

Also, while they are far from sure things for 300, Sabathia (173 wins and just turned 31) is well ahead of the pace of many recent 300-game winners as well as Verlander (100 at age 28) and King Felix (81 at age 25).

As a comparison, Glavine had 124 wins when he turned 30 and finished with 305. Maddux had 151 when he turned 30 and finished with 355. Clemens had 146 when he turned 30 and finished with 354 (steroid enhanced).

I'm not saying CC, Verlander and Felix are all going to get 300, but based on the pace they are on (compared to recent 300 winners), I like the odds of at least 1 of them getting to 300 at some point.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Sandy Koufax just whizzed one past your ear. On two days' rest.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN196510140.shtml

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Before turning 30, Jim Palmer had 152 wins, Bert Blyleven had 169 and Larry Dierker had 137. Palmer wound up with 268, Blyleven with 287 and Dierker with 139.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Hershiser is one of those guys who think would be worthy and then you look at his stats and he's just not... It's the same thing for Jack Morris.

Now that Blyleven is in, I can't think of too many starting pitchers who deserve to be in, but aren't.

Draft saved Draft deleted