1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Beckham missed last night's Galaxy game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, yes it has.

It's still not an elite league, the quality of the MLS today is much better than the MLS of years ago.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Is there a dumber expression all of sports than "a friendly?"
    Can't anyone call an exhibition game and exhibition game any more?
    Or would that be admitting to the saps who pay exhorbitant prices that this game doesn't mean shit, we're just out here for practice?
    Like NFL "preseason" games that are part of the season ticket package.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Spn, the term 'friendly' goes a lot further back than 'exhibition' when it comes to soccer. It's part of the vernacular of soccer.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

GB, ever seen a fight break out at a "friendly" Doesn't seem very "friendly" to me.

It's practice.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And why do you park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

I can't stand it either, and I don't care how far it goes back. I've seen punches thrown in "friendlies." It's as bad as the tendancy to call everything an "event." A parade is an event. A game, match, race or tournament is a specific type of event: a competition.
    End of rant.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Not even sure he was all that vibrant in the 70's. He may have been chemically vibrant.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Okay, like Smallpotatoes starting threads about batshit crazy stuff he hears on wingnut radio, I can't give this one up.

Now Beckham's in Beijing, catching the gold medal men's basketball game. I though he was handling closing duties from London.

Los Angeles - London - Beijing. I guess the Galaxy took the week off from training, since they're the best team in the MLS.

Get the fuck out of LA, Beckham. Retire and become the full-time celebrity you're dying to become.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The fault is that of MLS by scheduling games during an international date. Non-soccer fans may not understand, but the most important thing to most players is a chance to play for their national team. Becks should be admired for his desire to play for Engerland.

And I'm sure that the Galaxy has the weekend off, so he's not missing any wind sprints.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Fixed.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When you read stuff like this it's hard to take MLS seriously. How can you ask the fans to make a full commitment to the league and their favorite teams when their biggest name star is not fully committed.

I am not surprised that the soccer apologists are giving Becks a pass.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The troll returns.

It was a FIFA sanctioned day for international matches. If a domestic league wanted to ignore FIFA and schedule a match or even exhibitions, it has no right to keep a player from playing for his country on those days. Same thing as the Olympics. That's why it is a non-issue to people who understand the sport.

Draft saved Draft deleted