1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Beckham: Best of all-time?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDJournalist, May 16, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

As NDJ continues to flail away like Chuck Wepner against Muhammad Ali,
    I give thanks to Inky_Wretch for pointing me to Abbey Clancy.

Yowzer. :)

2. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Where does Beckham rank among United States soccer players? (Since he played in the US at some point)

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Rephrase, your honor.

4. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Is Beckham the greatest player to ever play for an American team? He got paid $50 MILLION per year for his services.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't know shit about soccer, but I know Pele played for a US team, so no. And as hard as it is to fathom, it is possible for a player to be overpaid.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

For all the haters, I have to laugh because just now on Fox Soccer News there was a commercial for upcoming matches between City and Chelsea and Ireland and Spain all at YANKEE STADIUM.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You're jacking off a dead horse, Einstein. Looks right on you, though.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Inky please! Duncan Edwards and Roy Keane say you're killing me!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

By this creaky logic, B.J. Upton is the Braves' best player because he's the most well-compensated. That (inflated) number for Beckham is a function of his marketing value and ability to move tickets. At this, he is among the best ever. At soccer, he is simply very good.

Thankfully, quality and greatness are not determined by salary and "First Take" airtime.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

No shit. Pele, Beckenbauer and several other great international players finished up in the NASL in the 70s. Beckam likely isn't in the top 10. And probably not top 40 ot 50 all-time internationally. Let's see, off the top of my head and in no particular order and certainly missing some : Pele, Messi, Maradona, Beckenbauer, van Nistelrooy, Ronaldo (both of em), Henry (who also played in the US), David Villa, Alan Shearer, Bobby Charlton, Cruyff, Platini, Klinsmann, Rooney, Lampard, Ibrahimovic, van Persie, Drogba? ...

Beckham was excellent at his specialtyset pieces), and I loved watching him when he was over a free kick. In his prime was a solid all-around player, but he is not in the conversation as the best ever. Not even close. Most influential/popular? Maybe. But I'm guessing ND wasn't around in the 70s to witness Pele's heyday.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

See also: Anaheim, Los Angeles Angels of; and/or Dodgers, Los Angeles, v. 2013.

Sorry, NDJ, but all Becks was good at was being marketable.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Pele, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Best, Neeskens, Matthaus, Stoitchkov ... shit, even Robbie Keane was more valuable to the Galaxy last year.

Maybe you're not familiar with Pele.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pele

Draft saved Draft deleted